DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNSNAMES

hii, am sending my tnsnames.ora file,
    So any one can solve my problem.

L> copy from sghdev/sghdev@sgh to webdbdev/webdbdev@sgh -
    create pre(x,y) -
    using select * from prepaid_range;

ray fetch/bind size is 15. (arraysize is 15)
    ll commit when done. (copycommit is 0)
    ximum long size is 80. (long is 80)

ROR:
    A-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

**P3 IS MY ORACLE9I SERVER.
    **SGH.192.100.86.27 AND SGH.192.100.86.52 REMOTE.

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: E:\oracle\ora90\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SGH.192.100.86.27 =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.100.86.27)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = sgh)
    )
    )

SGH.192.100.86.52 =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.100.86.52)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = sgh)
    )
    )

INST1_HTTP.CELLNETWORK.COM.MY =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = p3)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = SHARED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = MODOSE)
    (PRESENTATION = http://HRService)
    )
    )

OEMREP.CELLNETWORK.COM.MY =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = P3)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = OEMREP)
    )
    )

kavitha

Recommend you buy O'Reilly's Oracle Net8 Configuration and Troubleshooting.

It looks like you are using local naming methods, so why you are appending hostname to the net service name is an interesting technique.

With sghdev/sghdev@sgh, Oracle is looking for one of two things in tnsnames.ora: sgh, or sgh.default_domain_name where default domain name comes from sqlnet.ora file. Change SGH to SGH.192.100.86.27 (or 52) in your connect strings so Net8 knows what to look for/resolve in tnsnames.ora. In other words, you have to provide a fully qualified service name.

SGH by itself does not exist in your file, so that is why the service name cannot be resolved.

Try SID value in CAPS????.
    also you can add community in address list.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

No, let's put this rumor to rest: caps or no caps - doesn't make a difference in the connect string. Try it and see. Then stop perpetuating this as a solution.

Community allows you to junk up the fully qualified name. Instead of being constrained to default domain name, you can make up whatever domain name you want. That still won't fix this problem: which SGH is being referred to in the tnsnames.ora file. There is no matching string. That's what Oracle is telling you - "I don't know what name you mean because I can't find it in the file."

Another solution is to use host naming because both databases are named SGH. Then the connect string would refer to the host, not the name of the database. This method is explained in the O'Reilly book.

Further, I can't believe I just wasted time answering this question when you posted it under a different thread and people took the time to try and help you then. I will not answer any of your questions again.

Originally posted by stecal
    Further, I can't believe I just wasted time answering this question when you posted it under a different thread and people took the time to try and help you then. I will not answer any of your questions again.
    Kavithared,

This is what happens, if you keep opening new thread everytime instead of responding to existing thread and clear all your questions relevant to the topic. Its not only help you but, also others to know all the possible scenarios of the problem and respective resolutions... in a single thread.

Everyone hope from now, you follow up on a single thread specific to a problem...
    Reddy,Sam

boss i knew this would happen

Stecal u are right. I agree with u. It happened with me today.2 questions of the same type regarding connections and sessions posted in different thread and jeff had to drop those saying duplicate thread.

Kavithared u need to have patience and cool mind.

Eat , Drink & Enjoy life -

pravin_kini@hotmail.com

Hi Kavithared,
    You have to give the complete alias name in the connect string. otherwise oracle is not cleared to which box you are refering to. Try to connect as
    SGH.blabla... This will defenitely help you i think.

Thanks
    PNRDBA

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by stecal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kavitha,
    What did I tell you in another thread(under topic connections..).....same thing has happened.
    So Please donot do that mistake again.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

Its simple. Try to use tnsping utility @ command propmt to see your service name defined in tnsnames.ora is working. It shows which host you are connecting to... xyz is servicename(or you name it xxyz.abc.com depending upon your domain)

C:\>tnsping xyz

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 20-JUN-20
    02 17:48:01

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=dbxyz)(PORT=1521))
    OK (50 msec)

If you get OK response, then your service name is correct and you are good to go... and use COPY command.
    Reddy,Sam