DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: droping a table ?loosing access

in my application I am droping and recreating a table everytime I run a particular report.

the problem with that I loose all Roles and priviliges assigned to the table. and that causes a problem when users try to
    run this report again.

appending records to the table instead of droping it is
    not a valid option.

Any idea on how to solve this problem ?
    thanks

Hello;
    Why do you not use TRUNCATE Table?
    Orca

ok here is the process.
    I am trying to move data from *.cvs file (can open it in notpad,Excel,lotus 123) into one of the tables in oracle database and then I will be able to run my report.

now,

- when I open cvs in Notpad I got a very ugly data.
    - when I open it in Excel or lotus I get a nice looking spread sheet (all the data are located in the right place).

I've tried to use access and lotus approach to move the data from Excel, lotus123 to oracle. the problem with that, some of the data got corrupted as well as it overwrite the existing table which means I'll loose my Roles and privileges.

using sqlloader is not an option. because the person that will be moving the data from cvs to oracle, is the same person who will be runing the report (client side and could be on several different computer and could alson run it any time he wants).

* I only can get the file in *.CVS extension.

Hope this helps...

Use the shellscripts (unix) or batch files (windows) and run the sqlloader. Anybody can run the batch /shell script which can accept the text file as a parameter.

Badrinath

Use the shellscripts (unix) or batch files (windows) and run the sqlloader. Anybody can run the batch /shell script which can accept the text file as a parameter.

Badrinath

I am sorry if this sound stupid,
    but how can the user run the batch to run sqlloader, while he has accesss to the database only not the server ? I guess my
    question is: how can the user invoke sqlloader from his computer(client) when he has access only to the database ?

no it is not possible?.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.