DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Oracle requirement

Originally posted by elicoa
    and certainly cheaper than taking some silly Oracle class.
    Chris, what makes you think that Oracle classes are silly? Oracle University is the best place to learn Oracle, if you are aware of a better place/way, then I would be initerested to know.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Angry Retracting the word 'silly'

First, I believe in the axiom that ‘Those who can do and those who can’t teach.’ I apologize if this ruffles some peoples’ feathers. Secondly, I apologize to anyone who was offended by my criticism of Oracle University. For those who desire or need a structured program and have thousands of dollars to spend, the classes are appropriate.

I do feel that Oracle did not appropriately warn people considering or preparing for OCP about this policy shift. Fortunately it appears I am exempt from the new ‘hands-on’ requirement, but many of my friends whom I have been encouraging to pursue OCP are not so fortunate.

Unlike some certification programs, OCP can be done outside of the classroom. The ability to download Oracle products and manuals coupled with the ability for that software to run on an average consumer’s personal computer makes OCP attractive.

In addition, not everyone benefits from classroom instruction equally. My personal experience is that with the appropriate tools; in this case the hardware, software, and manuals, I can learn more efficiently on my own then listen to a professor lecture a classroom of students. I will concede that true 1-on-1 training can be beneficial.

Anyway, in my opinion, being certified doesn’t get you the job, and it doesn’t ‘keep you the job.’ To get a job, you need to interview well, know the basic material, and be personable. To keep a job, you need to be motivated, effective, a contributor, and be willing to continue learning. Certification only gets you the interview.

Enough with my rambling; The U.S. has beaten Mexico in the elimination round, and I’m going to bed now.

Chris
    OCP DBA 8

Re: Retracting the word 'silly'

Originally posted by elicoa
    First, I believe in the axiom that ‘Those who can do and those who can’t teach.’
    :-)

My personal experience is that with the appropriate tools; in this case the hardware, software, and manuals, I can learn more efficiently on my own then listen to a professor lecture a classroom of students.
    The Oracle classes have the appropriate software, hardware and manuals. There is whom to ask if you do not know how to do something. Now how can that be worse than trying to do the same stuff alone?
    Oracle Certified Master

does this new criteria apply to the 8i track too?

Hey DarthDBA, where are you located in Oz?

As for the mo money for Oracle. It seems that yes, they are trying to make it a little harder for the paper OCP's whilst additionally trying to boast their own coffers in the process. It makes me wonder why the 9i Upgrade exam is included in this, this means that each time you upgrade you must go on an ILT course. Try getting 3K worth of training out of your Business in the current climate.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

What are you talking about? What new criteria?

As far as Oracle University is concerned, the level of education there is higher than in many universities around the world. And I have visited quite some many.
    Oracle Certified Master

Julian,

It's worse because people are forced to pay an extra $2000 for training they may not want or need.

Take an experienced Oracle DBA with 5+ years experience...is that DBA going to want to sit through one of Oracle University's 5 day core DBA courses. Sure, he or she might learn a new thing or two...but they easily could have learned the same after prepping for the exam and reading and practicing on their own.

Oracle even states that a certification candidate is allowed to complete all 4 exams in the 9i DBA Track first, bu then must meet the course requirement. Well, if someone has the ability to pass all 4 exams prior to taking the course...why must they pay $2000 to Oracle for a class that covers the topics they just passed? I'm surprised Orace didn't state that an alternative to the course, you could also write a check to Oracle University for $2000 to fulfill the requirement!! At least this method would save 5 days of a person's valuable time.

Also, how about the inconsideration of Oracle not providing any advanced warning?
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

Originally posted by grjohnson
    It makes me wonder why the 9i Upgrade exam is included in this, this means that each time you upgrade you must go on an ILT course. Try getting 3K worth of training out of your Business in the current climate.
    Current OCP's are exempted.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Originally posted by grjohnson
    It makes me wonder why the 9i Upgrade exam is included in this, this means that each time you upgrade you must go on an ILT course. Try getting 3K worth of training out of your Business in the current climate.
    Current OCP's are exempted.
    Exempted from what Jeff? Could you explain please?

Oracle Certified Master

People that already hold the OCP designation are not required to take an ILT course in order to upgade to 9i.
    Jeff Hunter