DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Oracle requirement

Smile

Hello Forum,

In regard of the new oracle OCP requirement I would like to ask the following question:

http://www.oracle.com/education/cert...coursereq.html

Am I correct in my assumption that if you have passed at least one exam listed in the OCP 8i track you can continue and even pass the 1z0-030 to be both OCP 8i and 9i certified without the need to attend a classroom ILT ?

Thanks and regards,
    ALT69

Good question.

If the price of exams with discount is $500 and books cost another $150 - $200, then the additional cost of a class will almost quadruple the cost of OCP.

That is really annoying.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Does this new requirement require OCA candidates to take classes as well? How would Oracle knows if I am taking ILT or not.

Another rip off from Oracle ...there isn't any self pace - self study anymore .

Sounds to me like Oracle doesn't want anymore OCPs!?!
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

This is quite a bombshell, especially since they've basically given no warning whatsoever.

I'm hoping I'm grandfathered - I recently passed 1z0-001, and had planned to continue with the 8i track then upgrade to 9i.

I wouldn't be interested in a 'hands on' course even if it were free. I do much better with the software on a test system and a few thousand pages of reading.

If anyone gets an authoritative answer to Alt69's question, I'm very interested too.

I think this "new" requirement is going to kill the OCP Program!! Oracle has enjoyed enormous success in the Program, but I don't believe that any other "major" software firm's certification program requires taking their own courses...at least not at this level.

I can somewhat understand Oracle's position on the course requirements for the OCM level, but not the OCP (or OCA).

Can you imagine being an experienced Oracle DBA (5+ solid years) and now deciding you want to become certified...now you need to waste 5 days on training which you likely don't need...plus $1,500 to $2,500 for a course...in addition to the regular exam prep materials that you would normally purchase.

This is obviously a move to corner the training market, and to bolster their saging Education business. Oracle complains about Microsoft's Anti-Trust practices...how about Oracle requiring you to take a course from them, and only them! O.K., you can also take it from an Oracle Authorized Education Partner...but Oracle gets a LARGE percentage of those registrations fees too!

SQL Server is starting to sound a bit better!!

Sorry for venting my frustration here...but I'm sure everyone here can understand my complete disappointment at the moment!
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

Hello Edward,

Microsoft still seems to have a more friendly approach to their certification candididates:

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...amfeedback.asp

The Skills Being Measured chart lists each exam objective and the Microsoft Official Curriculum (MOC) courses that may be available for that objective. Is this tool effective in helping you assess where you may need formal training to supplement your experience?

Regards,
    ALT69

do i need to take course for 8i?

I am new to Oracle and haven't take any exam yet.

Do I need to take course from Oracle University if I choose the 8i track instead of 9i track?

If yes, then I can avoid taking the course by completing the 8i track + 1 upgrade exam to 9i.

Personally, I think it is Oracle's attempt to bring back some credibility for the OCP Program. With so many paper OCPs out there, the designation of OCP has deteriorated. I believe they think that a company that is willing to send somebody to training will actually place that person in a role related to that training.

If Oracle is trying to provide credibility to the OCP designation, I think there's better ways to do it. Of course, it's hard to argue against Oracle just trying to find a new revenue stream for a faltering product line.
    Jeff Hunter

For a freelancer or contractor, the burden of proof is on Oracle that the $3000 cost and the wages lost from 5 days of class will provide a comparable return on investment.

I wouldn´t object if all OCP candidates passing required exams were required to attend a 2-3 day cost free seminar to gauge skills and measure the efficacy of the examinations.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g