DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from 8.0.4 to 8.1.7 on Sun Solaris

Question

My current live database (8.0.4) is on a Sun E450 box running Sun Solaris 2.7. I have a new server (in the future setting up standby database) which is the same spec and OS. I want to copy the db accross and then upgrade to 8.1.7.

I know how to copy the db accross to the new server by taking a backup of the control file and then copy all datafiles and redo etc... recreating db on new box...... What I want to know is how to upgrade to 8.1.7, any good docs, tips, experience would be much appreciated.....??

Kind Regards

Upgrading database

Hi,

Copy the dbf's, controlfiles, redologs and initSID.ora to the new 8i environment.

Get rid of the obsolete params in your initSID.ora.

Place _system_trig_enabed=false in the initSID.ora (only during upgrade).

Startup and open the 8.0 database with 8i software.

Run the appropriate u8000X.sql located in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory.

shutdown the database.

Remove the _system_trig_enabled=false entry.

Startup the database.
    Your done. (appart from listener.ora, tnsnames.ora and oratab)

Good luck

Tycho

It's always good to see Oracle docs first, at least for to know what you are doing:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...a86632/toc.htm

Thanks all, i'll give it ago and let you know....

Regards

I've done what Tycho suggested and it seems to have worked fine.... thank you!!

When I do a:

select *
    from global_name;

it still says the old database name not the new??

Regards

Kev.

Which settings do I need to change for the above??

Cheers

Anyone??

Also......

Can I have 2 databases with the same name on seperate servers. Can I call the db on the new server the same as the old??

Reason is, if I do the above copying datafiles etc... then after testing, to go live all I need to do is an export/import to update data...

Thanks in advance!!

Help!

You can have the same name on different servers. However, you may run into connection problems because when doing connect username/password@dbname, how does Oracle know which dbname you are trying to connect to? It only knows that via tnsnames.ora. The net service name in there will reference the host and port of the server. So, yes, you can have the same name on different servers, but your environment/setup needs to be configured properly depending on who you are and where you are with respect to how you are trying to connect. For advanced bonus points, you can use different instance names that have the same dbname.

You can avoid the Net8 connection problem/confusion by conneting while on each server withouth the listener running. You will get a bequeath session as long as the instance is running and your shell window has the correct ORACLE_SID set in it.