DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: permisible size of sga

Dear Sir,

I have a total sga size of around 36% of my ram (on advanced server 2000). What is the maximum allowable size of the total ram (%) can the sga have (as a thumb rule). I need to know this as I will have to increase the buffers for a greater hit ratio.

Regards,

K.Diwakar

[Edited by diwakar on 06-08-2002 at 08:27 AM]

yes very interesting

Of course this is not a place to post questions which I did not notice when I posted this question but posting such intelligent replies by a senior person like the moderator does not give weightage to your position. A thread with the same name has been started in the other section

[Edited by diwakar on 06-12-2002 at 07:30 AM]

OS needs some RAM,
    other tools like Backups, Internet Explorer running need some RAM,

take the rest for Oracle to a point you avoid paging/swapping
    Sridhar R Patnam

Originally posted by diwakar
    Of course this is not a place to post questions which I did not notice when I posted this question but posting such intelligent replies by a senior person like the moderator does not give weightage to your position. A thread with the same name has been started in the other section

at the end you learnt to read

hello Mr Pando....

What a sensible comment by an intelligent person..... Once again three cheers to u. I wouldnt like to add anything more to this....... Leaving it open to everyone.....

So diwaker,
    Did you find out how much memory you can allocate?
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by diwakar

diwakar,
    Why this is not a place to post questions like you did?What is other section where thread with the same name started?

One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

It is advisable to look /search for the FAQ in the forum/on the net. There you'll be able to gather more information than expecting/waiting for an answer which others may or may not answer.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

I agree, it is advisable. However, if someone did not do this then he/she could be suggested to do so or provided a link to related threads.
    There is nothing wrong with asking any kind of question in regards of Oracle database administration in this forum. It is a open forum after all.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!