DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle to Sql Server Migration

Anyone knows the tips and tricks to migrate Orale to sql server???
    I also want to know some tools to migrate oracle procedure and sql queries to run in MS sql server!!!
    How can i sort out the issues of decode , outer join etc. to work under sql server 2000
    An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

people would appreciate if you are migrating from MSSQL to Oracle. There are tons of solutions for Oracle --> MSSQL but I dont think anyone other than MS will provide anything for your purpose. Check with MS.

boss anujdutt

why dont u share with us , what made ur shop feel that u should now go for sql server , and not continue with oracle.
    what are the reasons.

Just i was curious to know.

--Pravin

Eat , Drink & Enjoy life -

pravin_kini@hotmail.com

Price tag!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm trying my best to prevent it from happening here, some supplier who we might choose is gives reports and comparitive figures of how sql server is cheaper than oracle.
    and my employer would not be thinking twice, of course i'll have to bring up my facts and figures.

It'll be inevitable,unless oracle compromises. It's ashame but it's the money that talks!!

Tarry
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Anuj,

Here is the link i found on Micro$oft..

http://www.microsoft.com/SQL/techinf...rateOracle.asp

Also would like to know the reasons for migrating , if you would like to share with us

Madhu Reddy
    xdollor@yahoo.com

Yes please. I would be interested to know too.

I was in a similar position about a year and a half ago. The argument was the same. Sql Server was cheaper to purchase with the added benefit of being simpler to administer. Hard to argue that right? Well, I told him, I figure it's cheaper and easier to use BUT Oracle has a greater range of platforms that it can be installed on, greater flexibility in all tasks (with Sql Server easier administration comes in the aspects of day to day BASIC stuff but when the going gets tough, I feel, Oracle can be dealt with better. I know - I have used both), has been aligned with many enterprise vendors (HP, SUN, Veritas, et al.) therefore a greater pool of knowledge to work with. A couple more reasons are available but that was the gist of it.

Now with MS changing their licensing scheme for corporate customers that alone enough would scare anyone away from MS products - like, come on, a yearly license renewal for using the software! You gotta be joking me.

I've come across a place where I could not figure out 1 reason they had to go for Oracle, Yes Oracle. It was absolutely not necessary to go for Oracle.

First of all the DB size currently after 1.5 years is 250MB.
    The Web Server is IIS
    # of hits per day is 1500
    Application is VB/ASP
    OS is Windows

Why on earth does one need Oracle for such a system ? It is simply a maintenance nightmare, and very expensive too.

lesson: choose your db with extreme caution

oh sure. Agreed about the size and workload of the application that would be using it. I guess some of us are under the assumption that if you currently use Oracle then you would be in a sizable environment that requires a database like Oracle or Sql Server, or Sybase, ie. , enterprise (whatever that means nowadays).

But yes it is a good point. How big would the project be?