DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8i v/s 9i

I need to justify my management as to why we should upgrade to Oracle 9i from Oracle 8i. Could you point me to any good white paper or url links related to this?

TIA

Well, first of all what are the flaws which you are observing in your present 8i version ??? with them you can convince the management.. I think so
    Madhu Reddy
    xdollor@yahoo.com

Have you read any of the new features articles/documents/books that are available? If so, does your organization >need< any of them? If not, hang on to 8i. The only real driver of when to migrate is when 8i (8.1.7 being the terminal release) is desupported, which is at the end of 2003.

9i release 2 just became available, so I'd wait a while before going to that release (plenty of people out there who will run into bugs and other "features" and let Oracle Corp. know about them).

There is no real urgency to upgrade to 9i if you don't need the new features but you should suggest to your company that you should start planning for it now. There is alot of new technology in Oracle9i Release 2 compared to 8i. You need to understand alot of new concepts before you launch into using for your companies production systems.

The only sure-fire way to get to know Oracle9i is to use it and an obvious was to start is to try and build a test system at work.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog