DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i software installation????

Hybrid View

Hi Friends,
    I am in the processes of installing 9i oracle software to create database...Is there any way to get ride of seed database..?.
    I dont want that.Anyhow I am going to create the new database manually...(We never created database using DBCA).Also I am installing the(9i) software first time...
    (platform :SUN solaris)
    any help.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

As a recommendation, let Oracle create the seed database. You can use it to confirm the program files installed and linked successfully. Once you are satisfied everything works, remove the database to recover the disk space.

You should note that the init.ora file created for the database looks a lot like the default init.ora file that shipped with 8i. You won't really have a 9i database until you set the compatibility factor to 9.0.0. Only then will you be able to use some of the new features such as automatic undo, OMF, etc.

Thanks for the speedy ans.
    Why we(Oracle) need the seed database?..Meaning what for it is creating by default?.
    What is actually sitting in that?.Any input will be appriciated.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

offenly,
    I install software only with customer mode, and create a database with custormer mode too.
    I had done like that with oracle 8i in aix,hp-ux,solaris,linux
    and oracle 9i with linux,solaris, and
    I had installed oracle9i RAC on solaris.

with oracle9i you'd better to use dbca with "new database" to create database instead of create database with scripts manually.

if you really want to create a database manually, pay attetion to password file, init file ,spfile file, and all path exist and you have read/write privelege, and keep in mind that use default redo log file size
    Just wanna get more and more professional with oracle
    Just wanna a job relateed with oracle

Thanks friends.
    I will keep in mind all the advice.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.