DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: listener.ora not found

Hi,

Windows 2000 / Oracle 8.1.7

I have a listener.ora which does not point to my DB address but there is no problem in connecting to my DB.In the services also if I stop the listener then also my DB works fine.Only if I stop OracleServiceSID then DB doesnt work.Where can I fine my listener.ora pointing to my DB and what is the problem here.

Thanks.

Hi,

If you try to connect to your database from the server itself, it does not require a listener.
    From Oracle 8i onwards, all the instances automatically registers itself whenever the instance gets
    started. So, even if your database entry is not available in the listener.ora file your connection will
    succeed.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

Thanks a lot !!!

I have not tried it to connect it from client , I think then it should not connect to my DB from client.

Thanks.

Open a DOS window and do "lsnrctl status" - you'll see the listener parameter file location (among other things).

Type echo %TNS_ADMIN% to see if you have that environment variable set. You can also check properties on My Computer to see if TNS_ADMIN is set.

If TNS_ADMIN is not set, the default location for the Net8 files (tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, and listener.ora) on Windows is ORACLE_HOME\network\admin.

On Windows, you need the service to be running. This is true for the listener and the database. The actual listener (as in lsnrctl start) doesn't need to be running if you are connecting on the server. You get what is known as a bequeath session.

With your listener stopped, do a connect username/password. Then try a connect username/password@name-of-your-database and see the difference.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.It was well explained.

Bye.