DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle's Future ??

Though Oracle continues to hold on to the market share leadership, IBM (i.e. IBM+Informix) beats Oracle in 2001 new license sales.
    The market share gap between IBM and Oracle narrowing down.

http://www4.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=106576

Oracle stock sees a new low after 1999. Yesterday's close 8.25
    http://money.cnn.com/2002/05/02/tech...elle/index.htm

Are the warning bells ringing for Larry Ellison's Oracle?? And what about us, the Oracle Professionals?? Shell we start looking into DB/2 and SQL Server as well?

Sanjay

[Edited by SANJAY_G on 05-07-2002 at 11:30 PM]

Yes u are right .

It is a serious concern , bcoz our survival depends on Oracle.

Hope things work out good for us.

--Pravin

My 2C:

Trust me guys, Oracle is going to be the ruler of database applications for ever and for ever. There is no second thought on this. Oracle has proven efficient track records for the last several years.

Oracle is not a product which saw fame overnight by bull**** marketing (read Microsoft). Its grown with sheer power. Its grown with sheer justice. Its a legend in itself.

Oracle is miles ahead compared to any database be it in terms of efficiency or in terms of power.

Whatever the reports may speak anywhere, however Bill Gates tries to float SQL Server -- no one can touch Oracle.

Oracle is not just a database; its a philosophy, a gateway to explore one of the best techno-architectures ever created in the history..

Its a magical mist that will never ever fade away.....

[Edited by dbafreak on 05-08-2002 at 12:26 AM]

Oracle still has 32% of total market share (a very close second to IBM's DB2 with 34%.... that's a crap load of Oracle Instances out their... don't panic!
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

I also did read the article yesterday and felt some sort of concern. But about that Gartner's research: they have included IBM's mainframe products and Microsofts' Access :-) From the Unix databases Oracle is on top with 63,3%. IBM & Informix together have 24,7%! It is clear that Oracle is unbeatable on the market in the next years. I don't know about unbreakable :-) Something else: even on Windows the share of Oracle and SQL Server is almost the same (about 35%).

When looking at the job adds I see that most DB positions are for Oracle. Correction: almost all positions.

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

IBM is cheap.
    Chan
    OCP7.3/8.0/8i/9i
    Sun Certified Sys. Admin

I would not go so far as to say that IBM is cheap. We have an application that has run on an Informix database for years. When we initial began discussing an upgrade to Informix (before IBM purchased) the cost was very reasonable. By the time we made the decision to upgrade, IBM had purchased Informix and the cost to upgrade went up over 75%! We went with Oracle instead. Believe it or not, it was cheaper and Oracle was offering great deals to Informix customers moving to Oracle.

The basic reason (as Julian mentioned )for IBM ranking over ORacle in sales is that they have included IBM mainframe in the calculation. This category has built over a period of time, though now nobody will go for mainframe, but the existing with large databases have to continue due to inadaptabilty in application or difficulty in converting/ contracts with IBM. So if you remove this mainframe category Oracle will be first,Sql server 2nd and IBM 3rd.
    KN

In first:
    One small question. When two company (or two database) going to union?
    When its have best sale, or not?
    Usually it hapend when one of them have to eat second.
    I thing, It will be Informix. minus one competitor of Oracle, and not bad database.
    In second:
    Same analitic reports have conclusion: IBM DB2 can't have Oracle functionality in neast 5 year.
    Oracle has not bad reserve of time for correct it sale policy.

Originally posted by Knarayan
    The basic reason (as Julian mentioned )for IBM ranking over ORacle in sales is that they have included IBM mainframe in the calculation. This category has built over a period of time, though now nobody will go for mainframe, but the existing with large databases have to continue due to inadaptabilty in application or difficulty in converting/ contracts with IBM. So if you remove this mainframe category Oracle will be first,Sql server 2nd and IBM 3rd.
    Yeah, but if you take out Unix and Mainframe, SQL Server would be first.

And if you take out Unix, Mainframe, and anything that runs on Windows NT, you're left with MS Access as being the biggest.

And if you take out Windows all together, you're left with dBase. Long live Clipper!
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."