DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not friendly?.

Hi Friends,
    Why the DBAs working in a same org/office are not so friendly.I hear from most of my DBA friends like this...
    .....we could not share our DBA knowledge.They are not discussing the issues properly.hiding infirmations..half information gone without infirming.Not discussing database issuse if araise.....
    It may look funny but fact.Why?...I could not understand that.
    Somebody should bell the cat.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

Really?
    We work in consultance, but we always share all, and the professional discutions are without end...
    Maybe because we are not the direct employees of the end-customer...
    ovidius over!

If someone is really doing what Thangai has said, then he/she is very very very insecure.

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

I agree fully with Raminder
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Thumbs down

That is why you should interview the company you apply for, not just have them interview you. I would never want to work in a shop like that, ever.

In my department you would get your ass bounced out so fast your head would spin, with that type of behavior. We work as a team for the good of the company, department, and the job at hand. It is also the responsibility of the seniors to see that the juniors are trained and brought up to speed, how else do you expect to run a successful company if you do not bring up your own people?

Stay away from a place like that, it’s not worth it.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by thanigai
    Hi Friends,
    Why the DBAs working in a same org/office are not so friendly.I hear from most of my DBA friends like this...
    .....we could not share our DBA knowledge.They are not discussing the issues properly.hiding infirmations..half information gone without infirming.Not discussing database issuse if araise.....
    It may look funny but fact.Why?...I could not understand that.
    Somebody should bell the cat.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.
    Some people know less than other people and perform less efficiently at work, but anyhow they have the capability to apprehend all that and feel initimidated by that at the same time. In order to cover that up, they use small misserable tricks as the ones you mentioned above (if you even can call then tricks). This is quite normal in many working places and you may consider yourself lucky if you lack such kind of problems. This is typical not only in our Oracle circles but everywhere.

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Good management does not allow people to compete by withholding information from co-workers.

In my opinion, you can avoid a lot of these people issues by working as a consultant/contractor/freelancer.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

It sounds like you work in a VERY competitive environment. Each DBA wanting to know that little bit more than the other, and therefore, not wanting to share the information with each other. This isn't good. Maybe you should seek to find out the cause of this. Maybe they are each trying to justify their worth by trying to know more that the next dba...*shrug*

Cheers,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Hm, why should we talk about some immaginary working environments where this is happening, if we have a very good example right here, in this forums!

I see lot of new (at least dozen per month) "I just became OCP DBA" messages in certification forum, followed by few congratulation messages and tapping on his/her shoulder, but then guess what - very few of those new OCPs then become very entusiastic in sharing their knowledge in Administration or Development forums. After they sucked as many advices and information as they could get to gain their certification, at most what they perticipate in helping others is to give some general and more or less meaningless advices in Certification forum. Then they dissapear (at least untill they need new information for their upgrade exams ). Isn't this also the same category of "hidding knowledge from others"?

Of course, I am speaking about my general impression, there are some members here that are exceptions to this rule, thank god.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Well said by all...
    I am glad by seeing reply.Thanks.
    I felt like sharing this views with our gurus...I did it.
    always I will share my little knowledge (good or bad) with our gurus here..
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.