There are some robots which do some kind
    of automated works; but it doesn't mean
    that a robot can become the president
    of US and start ruling the world or it
    cannot be replaced for all human works.

Think twice before u write.

Long Live DBA community

[Edited by sonia on 04-03-2002 at 05:30 AM]

This was the BEST and the most amusing thread I've ever seen here!!!!
    Seems like is nothing to say more. But I will say ano mote thing, anyway!
    IF somebody could think that an Oracle dba is payed for nothing, no matter where is the place, I'd like to ask what happens with, let's say, an Sybase DBA. Because, you know, as an Oracle DBA you HAVE to do lots of things because the instance itself does NOT to it, even if on another technologies the engines does it!
    I think that UNTILL this Oracle DBA get that state where all things are automated and all the needed scripts are written, and all is "smooth" , it could pass 1000 years, maybe more, depending on the shop...
    It is very clear for me that a Sybase DBA have theoretically a prettier job, because the technology helps him a lot, and is reliable, and is simple, and flexible, and so on. But his functions are the same, and maybe he does fewer auxiliary jobs, and using more simple tools, or more powerfull.
    BUT I NEVER HEARD SOMEBODY TO TELL A SYBASE DBA IS PAYED FOR NOTHING!!! He is the DBA! He/she takes the responsibility, and this is happening in the EXACT moment that NOBODY would take it!

Then, if a Sybase DBA is never payed for nothing, I think an Oracle DBA is always payed too small !

ovidius over!

I say:

Let him/her with his/her misery

Thats all I think no moderators?

TJI:

Only 8 hours a day?

Okay.

Your stable system.

There is no employee turnover so userids don't have to be dropped/created?

How many servers/instances? I support 61 instances on 59 servers in 7x24 mode. I can't count the 3am calls about application deadlocks that need to be cleared so 3rd shift can get it's job done. But I still have to be in my office at 8am.

You have allocated lot's of space? How did you get your CFO to approve all that unused disk space? There is no such thing as lots of space in an RDBMS (Oracle, SQl Server or whatever).

You have allocated lot's of space? So your database doesn't grow because your client base and transaction base doesn't grow? How does your company keep Wall Street happy. Any if you business is growing, see the space comment above.

Oracle's lifecycle is about 2 years per release. How many of your servers are coming out of support and need upgrading to keep current? How are you going to upgrade? and when (can you do it in 2 or 3 days overs a weekend)?

What are the bugs that have been found in the releases you support? Any new ones? Do you have to worry about them? Better check the boards regularly to find out.

You do test your backup and recovery regularly, somehow?

I have always said the main goal of my job as DBA is to be bored to tears but somehow disk crashes, memory leaks, inexperienced programmers, and frustrated users don't let that happen.

And I am still primarily in Insurance mode.
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'

Steve Lemme says:
    1. Identify the causes of problems, resolve database problems and develop prevention methods
    2. Maintain and improve technical skills, environment and application knowledge
    3. Review and evaluate assigned project status and impact on database systems
    4. Provide user support through meetings, presentations and documentation preparation
    5. Prepare and review database specifications, including testing and controls
    6. Prepare budgets and planning documents, and maintain service contracts
    7. Design, create and maintain physical and logical databases

I say:
    1. Be responsible for Reliability, Availability, and Security of any datastore.

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Originally posted by Gayatri

objective - To find out Role of dba - Day to Day - lets assume 8 hours minimum or more

Assumption

- U have Database installed and created in the best available hardware in an operating system with good memory, high disk space ,security reasons,in built recovery features etc.
    machine is up and running smoothly. absolutely no problem.
    One thing you have to remember here is that Murphy's Law. The problems are not predictable

2. The normal avg. system's life time is 5Yrs. So what the system that you consider to be the state of the architecture will be obsolte tomorrow. On such case, if your company goes and buys out the new system, then only a DBA, would be the one knowledgeble to do the migration.

3. Creating a crapy, database, any one and every one can do, but Creating a good database, with all the performace issues taken into consideration, only your paid DBA can. There are ways you could cause a huge bottle necks, which only an experienced can forsee.

4. The database that you created without the guidence of a DBA, might hum charmfully, but will sure start to fall appart as the load goes up.

- U have all the scripts for automating tasks including backups.
    (export, import, archive, noarchive backups)
    Backups are taking place and tested also , absolutely no problem in this area.
    Backups, hmmm, any one can do that. but recovery, not every one would be able to do, unless and otherwise they have a good DBA knowledge. There are various kinds of recoveries that you can perform. So a DBA would know what to do and when to do, to have a minimal downtime, incase if one is required.

Now geting an extract from your own posting, let me ask you how would you perform recovery, using the current backup setup you have mentioned above, "(export, import, archive, noarchive backups)" ?

In a big system, there are groups of DBA's whose duty is to take care of certain tasks only.

- u have all database objects created , and application is running fine and The SGA size is ok , init.ora parameters are set properly in accordence to O/S.
    I love this application is running fine and The SGA size is ok . The SGA will never be O.K in any system , there is always a point where you can tweigue One thing again that you have to remember, tuning oracle is not a set of numbers that you would plug-in, its an ever evolving process of applying the permuntations and combinations. Again, as I mentioned, mostly a DBA only would know what to look for and where to look for.

Here is a funny thing that a friend of mine told me that had happend at his work place. They had a huge application that runs on oracle, as the time progressed, they stated to get calls stating that the application is slow. So the sysadmins, to get out of that, went up and added some more servers that would server the application. But they all forgot the point the database was the bottle neck. So what happend as they added the servers, the application was brought to its knees. Since they did not have a DBA onsite, they had no clue on what the contention was and where it lied. So, their production was slowed untill the next day, where they could call a SBT and get a DBA. The loss of revenue was so bad, that their balancesheets did not meet their expectations...

- when u created tablespaces u have taken care of storage parameters, and tablespace created with huge size, so u donot have to worry about tablespace getting full.
    - u have created the database users and given appropriate privelages and role. so that also is working fine and no problems with the security .
    ...and tablespace created with huge size For how long?
    Without undestanding the structure of the application tables, if you proceed to create the tablespace, so huge, you could easily cause the fragmentation inside the tablespaces. What happens when the free list gets filled up?

2. Security, hmmm, you think that setting the appropriate privileges to the users would secure the database, that is totally a wrong notion. There are so many backdoors I'm sure that you have not shut, through which I can get-in if you give me your tnsname setup to me. Its mostly an experienced DBA who would know that.

- every thing here is been taken care, every thing is running smoothly in ALL INSTANCES !!! so in day to day work situation what work he will be doing ? Just Monitoring !!!
    how is he accountable.?

-- Gayatri
    You know what makes up a good administrator? The one whose systems don't crash at all So, again remember the Murphy's Law. The administrators are not in the spot light as other folks mentioned, but, they are critical to the functionality of any business that is oriented with the computers. They are like the "THUMBS" . Without which your hand is useless. DBA is like the conductor of a symphony. You pay the conductor, to get a good music, similarly a DBA to get a good reliable, database!

Hope this would help to clear the dark cloud and shed some adbout DBAs and how he is accounted for.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I guess Mr. GAYTHRI DBA God doesn't convinced yet. He needs more reasons!!! You know what I have some feeling that this guy works lots of years as a minimum wage labour in a fast food store. That's why his concept about job activities is in that level 8 hours labour cheap works and probably he is looking for a job as a DBA for Years and always rejected that's why he became so panaroid and negative. Unfortunately there is lots of people like him that the only skill they have is to blame and critisize the world!
    I wonder why he doesn't start critisizing the Project Manager job. Project Managers also pay Hi Bucks and all they do is go to meetings, send 20 emails and 20 phone calls per day and talk to people and drink coffee. But again may be their job is important and it's not a labour job. If they don't keep track of projects, you poor developers doesn't have anything to develope and you all fires
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Talking

Hey, listen, do not judge him. He may me putting the question just for convincing his boss he is at use and not payed for nothing...
    But, again, this depends on his shop... We are talking about what a DBA SHOULD do, not about what a dba does...
    But I think if a dba is not doing his job for a time, surely will follow a time when NO USER there will can do his/her job, because databases do not need help to crash. This is what I love at RDBMS: they are great technology, that knows better that anybody to crush alone, with no help from anybody...
    (I'm kidding, of course. There is almost everytime some very intelligent users that help the engine to crush... )

[Edited by ovidius on 04-03-2002 at 12:13 PM]
    ovidius over!

Life's too short. Enjoy what you do.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Gayatri

As some one said in this forum try to take up this responsibility / challenge , u will really come to know how a dba journey is .
    Its like grass always looks green on the other side of mountain. So actually when u start the journey u come to know how hard the journey is . IN reality things are different.
    It is not like u think any tom dick harry can do it and it is also not one time activity/ work that u think.

I am not a dba , but to tell u honestly from the bottom of my heart this is the best forum that i have come accross. all people here who post the answers are great people and i respect them.

THERE IS A SAYING THAT WHEN IN THE PRESENCE OF SOMEONE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THINK TWICE BEFORE SPEAKING .i hope u undertsand this

-- Pravin