DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ROLE OF A DBA

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    There seems to be a motive behind these questions, I would like to know what that is.
    Some programmer who thinks the DBA in his company doesn't do sh#t.
    Jeff Hunter

I think so Jeff. I think these people try to destroy DBA position. They envy us :-) but who cares we make big bucks and let them complains all the time An expert brain surgeon perform a difficult brain surgery in 6 hours and he makes a half million dollar. Probably because his works is exteremly important.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

jeff . farookh , sharma good answers .

gayatri i will also give a another example .

consider a patient having severe heart attack, and he has a team of doctors attending him,
    each one has different roles and responsibilities. a cardioligist , a xray scan person, surgeon, nurse , junior level doctors. so the surgeon is constantly monitoring it , focusing on the perfomance ofthe patient , making plans,analysing how he can make the patients life better , and suppose he decides to do a bypass heart surgery , now in that cardiac surgeon plays a important role, he has to do that operation. he will be the sole person who will try to make a new bypass in the heart . it is his job .

try to see the dba playing the role of a surgeon, he knows all what is happening in background, he has a specialized skill which he can only do, no others who are around him can do his work , so in the momemt of crises he plays a key role.

i hope with this simple example u will get a clear picture what would be a dba role is.

i guess every one here would agree with me with this simple example to u .

-- Pravin

In my mind DBA is emergency (this is little bit more than "Insurance") and
    infrastructure service (like electricity, water ...), because every day users
    come in their workplaces and "turn on" their computers for work with data.
    And it should be like electricity in our houses when all ok and how cares how it works,
    And like emergency car, if something wrong.

There are very expensive services.

Thanks "Gayatri". I didn't know I do THIS MUCH.
    Look at it this way :
    You say - U have Database installed and created in the best available hardware in an operating system with good memory, high disk space ,security reasons,in built recovery features etc. machine is up and running smoothly. absolutely no problem.
    AND WHO DO YOU THINK INSTALLED THE S/W FIRST THEN GATHERED DATABASE REQUIREMENTS AND CREATED DATABASES ? If you don't know the answer - IT WAS THE DBA !!

You say - U have all the scripts for automating tasks including backups. (export, import, archive, noarchive backups)
    Backups are taking place and tested also , absolutely no problem in this area.
    AND WHO DO YOU THINK FIRST UNDERSTOOD THE CONCEPTS BEHIND EXPORT, IMPORT, ARCHIVE, NOARCHIVE BACKUPS AND THEN CODED/TESTED/IMPLEMENTED/SCHEDULED THESE SCRIPTS ? If you don't know the answer - IT WAS THE DBA !!

You say - u have all database objects created , and application is running fine and The SGA size is ok , init.ora parameters are set properly in accordence to O/S.
    AND WHO DO YOU THINK GATHERED USER SPECS/UNDERSTOOD THE MOST VAGUE REQUIREMENTS/TRANSFERRED THEM INTO TECHNICAL TERMINOLOGY/DECIDED DATABASE SPREAD/OBJECT SPREAD ? If you don't know the answer - IT WAS THE DBA !!

You say - when u created tablespaces u have taken care of storage parameters, and tablespace created with huge size, so u donot have to worry about tablespace getting full.
    AND WHO DO YOU THINK TOOK THAT CARE ? If you don't know the answer - IT WAS THE DBA !!

You say - u have created the database users and given appropriate privelages and role. so that also is working fine and no problems with the security .
    AND WHO DO YOU THINK MADE SENSE OUT OF CRAPY USER REQUIREMENTS AND IMPLEMENTED THEM PROBABLY USING FIN GRAINED ACCESS CONTROL MECHNISMS ? If you don't know the answer - IT WAS THE DBA !!

You say - every thing here is been taken care, every thing is running smoothly in ALL INSTANCES !!! so in day to day work situation what work he will be doing ? Just Monitoring !!!
    how is he accountable.?
    AND THERE IS JUST ONE SIMPLE REASON BEHIN ALL THIS HAPPENING SMOOTHLY - You have a good DBA also known as DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    svk

Well Done SVK

Gayatri..

Instead of envying DBA's ... if you have courage become a DBA .. And then if you need help there are guru's in this forum to help you... The question you asked shows ignorance rather than innocense

Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

hi guys

u all didnot get my question right . focus on what i asked ?

All this activity is one time, installation, scripting, creation of objects etc - right

apart from these all examples every one gave , Still i am not convinced !!!

Well Mr. Gayatri sorry we are not here to convinced you. We just told some truth to open your mind. Probably you don't also convinced why you borned ? I feel you are kind of person that thinks why should I buy a cow when I can have free milk or better example is you are kind of person that make a living out of try put other people down and discount them but guess what, no offense but remeber this proverb : "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain, and most fools do.". I guess there must be a reason that still in this terrible economy there is 1008 DBA jobs posted in monster.com. Yes if you have an ill crapy monkey business in your basement that doesn't worth 20 grand then you don't need to hire a 100+ grand to take after your close to bankruptcy business and in fact no good real DBA will accept to work for this hypotatic company. But when a business worth millions then by all means they pay a lot to a good DBA for rainy days. If you still can't distinguish between a labour employee and a professional employee, don't sneak here and don't try to gather free information for yourself, remeber that you never succeed to be a DBA with this kind of attitude.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Gayatri is a perfect candidate for Tim's remark about the big picture preesentation issue.(only the guys have to slog hard also a few girls as well who beleive the completion of the a perfect hardware/software solution.. give it to you on a silver platter.. so you can question the dba's competency)
    so gayatri girl,
    when you become an employer or let's say the head of your IT deptt
    you decide to say hey i'll execute all the script from my mobile/get sms's when i get an error etc...and i don't need the dba's who're just monitoring.

What you're missing out is that it's a process, more like the TQM which manay manager's mistakenly say as a system.
    your computer is running series of processes from which you cna issue you READY MADE scripts.

Your questioning is reasonable if you don't understand the criticality of being a dba.
    there are more dba's then ever. But it's not a tag, it can sell you but not for long.
    eventually your problems are being solved by a real dba.
    So you can go get yourself a ocp and call yourself a dba but you'll never be one ,never ever come even closer to being one.

When the days will come to go shopping from ready made ,all well stuff. Remember someone sat behind it to make it a product of what it is.

So good that you question the role of a dba, that's fine.
    but first comprehend the need and then think of calling a dba a guy who's JUST monitoring.

An employer who needs a real dba knows in advance(if he's smart) or by bad experience(such as the embezzlement of funds take IAB for instance,.....of **** i shud have kept a track on it!! or simple bad experience to control his employees from taking more holidays than they're allowed to .. etc ANYTHING you'll be smart if you ran your operations which had a logic and which manipulates the illogical ....

It's much more than what you think!
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by Gayatri
    hi guys

objective - To find out Role of dba - Day to Day - lets assume 8 hours minimum or more

Assumption

Tarry says:Assumption is the mother of all fxxxups!!
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---