DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ROLE OF A DBA

hi guys

Just had this doubt and wanted to ask u . because i am not a dba , but was keen to know this has been in my mind for a long time .

objective - To find out Role of dba - Day to Day - lets assume 8 hours minimum or more

Assumption

- U have Database installed and created in the best available hardware in an operating system with good memory, high disk space ,security reasons,in built recovery features etc.
    machine is up and running smoothly. absolutely no problem.

- U have all the scripts for automating tasks including backups.
    (export, import, archive, noarchive backups)
    Backups are taking place and tested also , absolutely no problem in this area.

- u have all database objects created , and application is running fine and The SGA size is ok , init.ora parameters are set properly in accordence to O/S.

- when u created tablespaces u have taken care of storage parameters, and tablespace created with huge size, so u donot have to worry about tablespace getting full.
    - u have created the database users and given appropriate privelages and role. so that also is working fine and no problems with the security .

- every thing here is been taken care, every thing is running smoothly in ALL INSTANCES !!! so in day to day work situation what work he will be doing ? Just Monitoring !!!
    how is he accountable.?

-- Gayatri

That's a pretty big assumption, but I'll give my $.02 anyway.

First, I would expect that the DBA monitors the performance daily so that no unexpected problems come up. In addition, he/she should verify that the backups from the previous night have completed successfully. I would bet about 1 hr/day for both.

Next, I would have the DBA start looking at performance of the application. There are always ways to apply technology to existing performance problems (sometimes for the better, sometimes not). His/her expertise in SQL and PL/SQL will come in handy when optimizing the existing code.

Next, I would share with the DBA the expansion plans of the business. The DBA can look at scalability issues as well as participate in the DR plans.

The DBA should also be investigating the new features of 9i and figuring out how to exploit them for his/her business.

All this, of course, depends on what role the Management sees for the DBA. Some managers see DBAs as nothing more than programmers that know something about Oracle. Some see DBAs as Sysadmins with Oracle knowlege. I would fathom to guess each group has their own definition of what a DBA is.
    Jeff Hunter

Talking

Well that was a one of the good questions asked .

Jeffs reply to that question is absolutely right.

But i would be happy to read jurij comments also in this question.

---Pravin

Gayatri , I think you have a point and try to discount the DBA role in a working environment and try to say that he/she do nothing and get paychecks. Is that right? Yes, May be in calm days DBA mostly monitoring, Coaching developers and babysitting the Instances but when the system crash someday then everybody panic and have no freaking clue then you will kiss the DBA hands to resolve the issues. He is an invisible person but at the time of crisis you are helpless and he is the most visible and most useful person. No offence.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

farookhp

Got ur opinion and ur views on role of a dba .

but wonder how often database gets crashed ?
    not every day right ? also due to security reasons . password authentication , nobody will delete the database files, users. so probability of crash happening is low. isnt it ?

still 8 hours - every day - work accountability is not complete and Not known fully

-- Gayatri

Cmon Guys & Oracle Gurus

I need comments /views/ answers for my question.

-- Gayatri

The DBA role differs from site to site. Some places one DBA may managing around 10 to 15 difference databases, some places DBA may be participating in Data Architecure activities also and so on ....
    and there may be DBAs who is just managing single or few very small stable database and that is what you are talking about.
    DBA role differs from one place to another.

You buy insurance to protect your self when ever it is required may be once in while or may be never.
    For Databases DBA provides that insurance.

He is responsible when required.

Thanks!

Gayatri, Mr. Sharma gave you a perfect example based on "Insurance" concept. I don't know what exactly you think but remeber that a Senior educated Oracle DBA is a professional person not a not a minimum wage labour in McDonald that you expect he does muscle works 8 hours like a servant that you may call it accountable !!!
    Yes may be for weeks he just monitor the database and coach developers for few hours a day and then he reads magazinewhat's wrong with that? Yes you have to pay him big bucks every bi-weekly and you may be need him once in a year but if you don't have it at crisis moments you basically screw up for good. He also involves on company decision making, data modeling, hardware purchasing and etc. This are not low level tasks and it's perfectly accountable. A CEO can make 1 million US a year. Do you like to blame him as well!!! Blame other people is the easiest thing in the world.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Hi Gayatri,

I could probably write a paper on the task and responsibilities of a Database Administrator. You should know that the role of the DBA is changing so fast. The current e-business environment demands for good DBA’s who understand the business processes as well data management. I work as Oracle System/Database Administrator for a dot.com and you cannot even begin to imagine the needs of my clients. The forum has responded well but the DBA is obviously the most critical person of any business as the new business environment move into data storage and management. Let me ask you a question, do you think that corporations who hire DBA’s and pay them are stupid. We are talking about Data Integrity, Storage, Integration and Management. Read DBA news.

Regards

C.K.

There seems to be a motive behind these questions, I would like to know what that is.

I am still trying to get used to the DBA lifestyle, going from 0 to 100MPH in a phone call. Amazing!

In some larger companies the DBA tasks are further divided. We have a group that handles the instance, and a group of Data Analysts that check data elements for consistancy, DDL ect..

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.