DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN Scripts vs. Veritas

Hello,

Every shop I've ever been in has used UNIX scripts using RMAN to perform backup (cold, hot,etc..) and restores/recoveries.

I am learning about Veritas backup features (through sales people) which in theory sounds great but my budget is very tight.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thank you!
    Don't blame me, I'm from Red Sox Nation.

Veritas is a media mangement piece of software. RMAN backs up the database and uses Netbackup as the SBT_TAPE device.
    Jeff Hunter

Can you also contact IBM/Tivoli for a similar product (media menagement software) called Tivoli backup Manager (TSM) to compare prices/services?
    Life is what is happening today while you were planning tomorrow.

Thanks Jeff...

Veritas wants to sell me a front-end graphic to RMAN and much more. They also want to sell me a disaster recovery product with their replication.

My gut feeling is that I already have working hot and cold RMAN scripts working fine (and I am practicing recovery scenarios with a test dB). I need Veritas (Netback) for media management.

For Disaster Recovery, I will use Oracle's Advanced Replication instead of Veritas's tool.

Please comment. Thanks
    Don't blame me, I'm from Red Sox Nation.

Ah, if you aleready have a good working knowlege of RMAN, there's really no need for a GUI, IMHO.

AR is a way to do DR. Another is with Standby database. Another is with Quest Shareplex. There are lots of ways to DR, it just depends on WHAT you want protected in a disaster and HOW LONG you can be without it.

Jeff Hunter

Try BMC's dtobackup.

Basically, if your database is > 50 GB, and your backup window is very limited, then 3rd party tools may help you to speed up backup process by employing multiple threads.
    First study your requirements carefully and then decide what is needed.