DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-12560

Dear friends

I got one problem while connecting from a client.

Here is the situation.Recently i installed Oracle 8.1.6 on Win2000 advanced server and configured all the clients successfully.Yesterday the OS guy he changed the domain and thats all.All the clients are down and not able to connect to the server.These guy again brought back the server to the same old domain.Now i got hell of problems.After lot of difficulties i brought back the Listener back to working condition.(listener is able to start and stop including svrmgr)
    Iam able do all sort of things on the server but now iam unable to connect to the server from win 98 client who is using developer2000 with sqlplus 3.3 and giving the error as ORA-12560.
    I searched the Metalink and did all the things.That is TNSNAMES.ORA file on both server and client.Even i changed the Hostname with IP address.But not successfull.Iam able to ping the server successfully.
    I did onemore thing by installing Oracle client on the client,but again same problem.
    I chekced the Wsock32.dll also all are as per the requirement by Oracle.
    Could any one give me some hints where i lost. As i drained out completely after bringing the server back.
    all sujjestions will be appreciated.
    regards
    akhadar

My guess is there is another error message saying something like server not found. 12560 is pretty generic. THere is almost always another error with some more detail (such as 12501 listener failed to spawn process, which could be a permissions thing.)

At any case, what protocol are you using ? If tcp/ip, can you ping the server from the/any client?

It is my experience that domains don't impact tcp/ip. Switches, routers, bridges, segments, yes they can but not domains.

If you can ping the server, can you TNSPING the server? and what is the error message and number then?

If the admin changed the domain, he probably rebooted the server. Does the account that starts Oracle have the permissions for the services and memory access?
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'

Can you do a tnsping from the client. Check to make sure that your service names had been set correctly. Then also check on the sqlnet.ora file and comment out the parameter sqlnet_authentication.

Make sure that all your tnsnames.ora file reflect the same. Do you have the server = shared set in the tnsnames.ora. on such case remove that too.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi,

I have recd the error several times, especially when there was an attempt to change some OS settings. Mostly i resolved this error which came due to some network conflicts. This, I think is a Net8 error, and if problem not already solved, then you may try to see the Local Area connection >Properties>Network monitor Driver>Configure>resources

In the resources window, see if there is any conflict. Else, you may also see if there is any entry in the Event Viewer.

There is also one more URL, related to this, which you may try: http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/oracle/ORA12560.htm

Prakash

Thank u to all for responding

I found the problem.Again it is because of the OS people mistake. Actually on Server there is a Firewall .They changed the configuration wihtout consulting me. When i fired them what exactly they did. Then i came to know they restricted the port 1521.When they removed the restriction the clients able to access the database.
    regards
    akhadar

Originally posted by akhadar
    Thank u to all for responding
    When i fired them what exactly they did.
    akhadar
    Hmm,

Local politics

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!