DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Reasons why Oracle is not used in Financial Industry???

Oracle's biggest problem, as I see it anyway, is their cost. Sure, they have advanced features. Sure their performance is great. But when it comes down to dollars and cents, it's hard to justify to management why you should plunk down $200K to run on a $40K box.
    Jeff Hunter

Jeff

what u say is absolutely and 100 % right !!

--Pravin.

I am waiting for jurij (jmodic) comments on this question !!!!

From the forum answer observation looks like jurij has not logged in for past few days !!!!

--Pravin

I totally agree with you jeff.

Oracle is justifyble for Big shops (which are few) but when it comes to small databases (which are 10o's times more than big shops ) oracle does not justify the cost.

Oracle had a big market share till now because there was no practically viable alternative solution to it.

SQL server was still an infant, DB2 did not support multiple platforms like windows etc etc and hence oracle got the benifit of doubt like in my company which actually does not need oracle. They could have been just as fine with sql server.

Now that there are alternatives people would go for them and oracle will start coming down if they dont mend their ways.

Ronnie

Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

well you can use standard edition $15000/CPU or it is still too much...?

I dont wanna be cocky in this case, I personally like Oracle alot too, but as soon as Microsoft get over their legal problems and have a little time to put together a more aggressive marketing campaign for their sqlserver product I think Larry and his Oracle crew can rest peacefully like Powerbuilder and Netscape. Talking about "ease of use" and zero-learning curve, hopefully Oracle can steal a few programmers from Microsoft to help them design Oracle 10i.

The person who has written this article knows very little about Oracle. Starting from his first claim (he obviously has never heard of PLS_INTEGER), the comments are full of mistakes.

Don't trust such "articles", anyone can write his own point of view over the Internet :-)

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

http://www.talusmusic.com/BriansTool...cleFacts1.html

what kind of bull**** is this guy talking about, 3 years working with Oracle and look the things he is talking about ... gee

let´s start with some obvious points

1.- 3 language in Oracle, sql, pl/sql and sqlplus LOL He must been working with svrmgrl all these 3 years or he cannot understand that sqlplus is a tool not a language
    2.- Oracle does not suppor result sets obviously he does not know about ref cursor
    3.- Oracle does not support client timeouts... he probably needs to read net8 admin guide
    4.- Core dump in solaris when set line width, well it´s probably a bug but it never happened to me in solaris but probably I never set itn over 500?
    5.- Oracle is incapable of dropping a table with only outgoing referential integrity constraints. This is incorrect, you can use deferred constraints to accomplish this which is an 8i feature
    6.- Oracle is single threaded, this is true and most probably it will be changed in next major release, infos from oracle internals
    7.- Oracle only supports one database per server. I dont understand very well this point but I think Oracle does support
    8.- . Hint: make sure your init.ora variable SORT_AREA_SIZE is about 20 MB to sped up create index, onbviously he has problems setting this parameters at session level with alter session
    9.- create index generates RBS, I have my doubts regarding this, it does use RBS but I dont think it generates though but I cant assure this 100%
    10.- In Oracle, a database is a server. Oracle only supports one database per server. For each database you want in Oracle, you must run the equivalent of asecfg; that is, dbassist.... The concepts of tablespaces here would be a database, I can have a single instance 100 tablespaces, one tablespace is a database, this is just concepts

etc etc

[Edited by pando on 03-13-2002 at 04:47 AM]

Every application developed in whatever language have bugs and that is why there is support/software maintenance department in every company involved in software development.

You should read a book on software development cycle and in first chapter of every book under this topic have full life cycle/development cycle.
    Mohammad Zahid
    Software Developer
    Database Management Applications.
    Vancouver, Canada
    E-mail: mzahid@shaw.ca

Yes every software has bugs and you have a beta test phase in life cycle. Oracle just has TOO many bugs, the situation now is: The customers are the official beta testers
    There is a truly stupid bug in sqlplus in 9i-Windows, you put set pause on, run a query, press enter and say byebye to your session, fun huh