DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: password

Whenever I change the password of sys, the password file(orapw) will also be modified. You can verify the fact by looking at the time stamp of the password file.

However, when I re-create the password file, how does Oracle update the password of SYS that stored in the dictionary? Or, does Oracle does not try to update it in the dictionary?

no because orapwd password is not the same as database password (this applies for user SYS or user with SYSDBA privs I forgot, check doc for details)

You are not quite right. Whenever you do:

Alter user sys identified by new-password;

You will reset both sys's regular password and ORAPWD password. I mean, you can do both:

connect sys/new-password@mydb
    and
    connect sys/new-password@mydb as sysdba

However, my concern is when you use ORAPWD to re-create your password file, how does Oracle react to the regular password? Keep the same or change both at the same time?

I agree with DBA_ADMIN. But can somebody expain more?

However, my concern is when you use ORAPWD to re-create your password file, how does Oracle react to the regular password? Keep the same or change both at the same time?
    Keeps the same for SYS. Usually, DBAs try to keep them both same. There was an interesting artcle in Oracle Magazie a couple of months ago about that.