DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FULL RECOVERY/IT'S URGENT PLEASE HELP

I need to do a full recovery on my database. I have a cold backup on Sunday and archived log till today.

Can someone please give me step by step how to recover the database and archived log till today ??? I am running 8.1.6 on NT

Please help, it's urgent and thanks million.

Assumptions: 1. Version 8 or 8i, 2. database is in archivelog mode, 3. you haven't corrupted any controlfiles or current online redo logs.

You need to restore all database dbf files from the last COLD backup, back to their respective locations on disk. Do NOT restore any backed up redo logs or controlfiles.

Restore to the archivelog location the archive logs generated since the COLD backup.

From svrmgrl do:

connect internal;
    startup mount;
    recover database until cancel;
    auto;
    cancel;
    alter database open noresetlogs;
    shutdown;

Do a complete COLD backup of the recovered database;

best of luck and if all fails RTFM.

Tony Veinberg

Thanks for your quick reply. This is the first time to recover for me so I am new with this so please excuse for my inexperience.

I am not too clear from your instructions. Could you please elaborate more clearer from what you said above.

you said:

1. CONNECT INTERNAL/MANAGER
    does it mean that the database already exists ???
    How do start if you only have the cole backup and archived log.

thanks

[Edited by ashley75 on 02-19-2002 at 07:17 PM]

A database recovery should be broken into two parts: restoring the files and the Oracle database recovery.

The first part is to restore any corrupted files from your COLD backup back to disk. This would normally be the *.dbf files. Do not restore controlfiles or redo logs from the backup assuming that they have been backed up. If they haven't great. You also need restore the archivelog files from the backup back to the location specified in log_archive_dest parameter in the init.ora file.

Sorry about some of the assumptions I made on my last post. I should have reread your post.

I'm am a bit rusty with NT.

Off doing some RTFM. back soon.
    Tony Veinberg

can you execute svrmgrl on your server. START -> RUN -> svrmgrl?
    Tony Veinberg

keep in mind that the URL mentioned is for recovery using a backup controlfile and this is not necessarily what is required in the situation mentioned.
    Tony Veinberg

Jeff,

Thanks so much for the lead, but before I can apply the archive log rolling forward I have to create the database from the cold backup I have.

Could you please give me some insturctions of how recover the database from my cold backup ???

Thanks so much for your help Jeff and Tveinberg

how have you done the COLD backup? I am assuming that the database has been shutdown and you have then used an NT utility/command to copy the database files and archive logs to either disk or tape.

You need to restore these by doing the reverse. Copy the backup of each database file from disk/tape back to their original location. (For example, in UNIX, I would shut the database down and copy each file to a backup directory and compress it. Tape backups occur at some later point in time.) I will assume that your database has the standard type of tablespaces, SYSTEM, TEMP, RBS, USERS, TOOLS and a tablespace(s) for data and indexes. These tablespaces have 1 or more datafiles associated with each of them The datafiles that make up these tablespaces is the database and they need to be copied back to their original location.

Having done this, do the same with the archived log files.

Connect to the instance using svrmgrl using the commands I have previously mentioned.

Tony Veinberg

i think what tony is saying is that you have to restore your backuped datafiles back to the server. what software are you using for your cold backup? you'll also use that software to retore your files..
    =======================
    Manifest plainness,
    embrace simplicity,
    reduce selfishness,
    have few desires. LAO TZU
    =======================