DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Patch 8.1.7.3 on NT is available

The Oracle patch for 8.1.7.3 NT/Win2000 is now available on MetaLink for anyone that wants it.

Happy downloading.

It is very large(100 M) for download.
    Question :
    I have oracle 8.1.7.0.0 and I want apply this path to my databas , Is it poosible ? or I must first apply older patch such as(8.1.7.1 and 8.1.7.2) and then apply 8.1.7.3 ?
    I recently buy metalink support and I am new in metalink.
    I can't find answer to this question in this site or FAQ.

-- sorry for my english.
    Best Regards.

Yes, you can apply it. No problem.

I did apply 8.1.7.3.0 to our production almsot the date it came. There is a harmless memory leak with it, each causes ORA-600 almost every second day. Oracle is working on the bug/problem. The workaround is an event whatever.

since when are memory leaks 'harmless' ?

If there is a memory leak, I do not find it suitable to support a production db. Or am I to demanding ??

Gert

Originally posted by denevge
    since when are memory leaks 'harmless' ?

If there is a memory leak, I do not find it suitable to support a production db. Or am I to demanding ??

Gert
    It is harmless for it happens when the user closes the session. And yes, there are harmless memory leaks.

Julian, do you have any document reference that describes this bug (or probably the bug#)?

The way you described it it certanly does not look like a harmles one! If there is some memory leak whenever user closes its session, this definitly can not be harmless. Nowadays when it is perfectly normal for most of the databases to have hundreds or thousands of sessions per day, if each session at the end causes a memory leak (no matter how tiny this leak might have been), sooner or later every database with this bug will crash because of that. Or am I missing something?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Here is the info from Oracle:

The "space leak" error means that there is some freeable memory in the heap that has not been freed yet.

The ORA-00600 [729] describes an internal memory housekeeping problem.
    While performing a LOGOFF from Oracle some functions will be called to cleanup memory allocation. While running a so-called memory space leak has been detected.

There's no data corruption as a result of this error.

Oracle engineering is aware of this problem and working on a solution.

Bug entry 2177050 has been opened for analyzing this problem and providing a solution. You'll be informed by this bug entry note as soon as a fix will be available.

This error is caused by some cleanup work, when logging off from a server session. When this error will be returned the database session already has closed, so there's no impact for the database objects.

Space leaks can cause process failure and that too,only during logoff. Hence they have minimal impact on normal database operations. Event 10262 can be safely set to ignore leaks upto some thousands of bytes. The space leak reported in your system is too low to be considered significant. Hence it is not an issue to worry about.