DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quicky

I would like to create a script to update each row that has a "NONAME" value in the LNAME field. I would like to modify this value to be blank. The name of the table is MASTNAME and it is an Oracle 8.1.6 database. Any suggestions? Should I use a cursor? Could someone provide me an example?

Code:
    UPDATE MASTNAME
       SET LNAME = ''
    WHERE LNAME = 'NONAME'
    Jeff Hunter

Try the example shown by marist89 with
    NOLOGGIN and parallel hints to get more performance, and
    if the table is too big then u may want to use a big rollback segmet with optional commit and also could go for cursor program... ( again consider the rollback segment size..if not use freequent commits ).

Thanx
    Sanjay

Originally posted by sanju_dba
    Try the example shown by marist89 with
    NOLOGGIN ....
    Of course the NOLOGGING will simply be ignored by Oracle, so it wouldn't do any harm.....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

I had to use a cursor on the same database for a similiar data change. I'd imagine that I will have to use one for this operation as well. Thanks fellas.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Can you explain why would you want to go with far more complicated and far less efficient way (using PL/SQL with cursor loop) when such a trivial SQL UPDATE statement can do the job?
    Jurij Modic

Maybe some people still get paid by the line of code they write?
    Jeff Hunter

I would use a cursor loop with a commit because the database has several million records and it is running on rather antiquated hardware and I am concerned that I might run out of rollback space.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Then don't be surprised if you get "ORA-1555 Snapshot to old" error - what you are intending to do is a perfect, out-of-the-manuals example of how you should not do this kind of mas updates on table. Serch for "fetch accross commit" and ORA-1555 in this forums or in other Oracle related sites to find an explanation why you should not do this updates inside a cursor loop with periodocal commits.
    Jurij Modic

I don't know if I have enough hard drive space to do it all at once. It would be really close and I can't take that chance. I've done an export of the database so I am not entirely worried. But given the scanario that I couldn't do an export, is there another solution without incuring this error as a result of using cursors and periodic commits.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA