DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a stupid mistake, what should I do now?

Angry

Just made a stupid mistake -- I really should use Shutdown Immediately while I chose to use Shutdown Normal. Now the shutdown process has been going on for more than 5 minutes and still show no sign of progress :-(

What's worse are:
    1. This process is not cancellable;
    2. I can't access to the database now to find out who is connecting to that database since the shutdown is in progress.

What's my option now?

Since you didn't specify OS, I'm assuming Solaris:

1. telnet to server
    2. start server manager
    3. connect internal
    4. shutdown immediate
    Jeff Hunter

Sorry, it's Win 2K...

I should have put the OS info over there -- it's Oracle 8.1.7 on a win2k box. Shall I follow the same steps?

Just to double check -- connect internal is still supported in 8i, right?

Thanks Jeff, you saved my life again ;-)

Sure, connect internal is still supported.

If you don't have telnet access to that box, you might have to physically go there and logon as an administrator.
    Jeff Hunter

It worked, but...

I was able to successfully shut down and startup that instance by following the steps you provided. But when I tried to connect to that instance from a client using SQL *Plus, I still get an error message said

ORA-01090: shutdown in progress - connection is not permitted

I guess that's because I was using DBA studio from the client to SHUTDOWN NORMAL that instance which never finish (and that's the original reason for me to post this question).

So what should I do to make that instance accessable?

Thanks!

Also...

After I connect as internal, how do I tell which instance did the svrmgrl shutdown/start up since I have multiple Oracle instance on that server? Is there anyway for me to specify it?

Since the trouble instance still not usable (shown as shutdown in progress state), I doubt if I svrmgrl actually did anything to this.

Did you set ORACLE_SID= your database name prior to shutting down immediate? If not, chances are you shutdown wrong database.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Thumbs up follow this procedure

hi,
    hey open up another console of svrmgrl connect as DBA and shutdown immediate or shutdown abort it!!
    if its not allowing you to connect may be bcoz you are trying to connect into a non dba account. try connectiong as internal or sys as SYSDBA.
    this should work perfectly!
    This is not that stupid mistake, it happens most of the times, and its not unresolvable so go ahead and try the procedure above.
    Regards,
    Venu!
    Venu G. (OCP 8i & 9i)

Hi

If you have mulitple instances running on the server, then you have to specify the correct SID before shutdown using

c:>\set ORACLE_SID=abc ->No space on any side of "=" sign

Now you can do the correct shutdown or you can stop and start thru the services, if are on the server itself

Good Luck
    Inderpal Johal

Unhappy The problem instance is in Unknown state now, so

what should I do?

Thanks for all your replies, but now it seems that I can either shutdown immedate or startup this instance. What I got was:

SVRMGR> shutdown immediate
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    SVRMGR> startup
    ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down first

How can I bring this database back?