DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Agent on NT - error

Exclamation

I get an error message when I try to start the "Oracle Agent service" on my
    Windows NT 4.0 server (sp6a) : "ERROR 0017: The system cannot move the file to a
    different disk drive" In the event-log i get this message: "oracle agent failed
    to initialize its connection cache"
    Anobody out ther with a hint?
    Thanks

Hi,

The Oracle Agent performs a lot of network related cross checking each time it is started. It has to be able to resolve the hostname to an ipaddress and it also has to verify the computer name (used for netbios connections) can be resolved. When problems exist with the network resolution layer, the Agent will not start. Since the Agents configuration files store the network hostname, the files may need to be removed so the agent can create new files with the corrected information.

To fix this error, correct the network configuration problems and clean the agent.

1. Remove the ORACLE_HOME\network\admin\snmp*.ora files. Also, if this was the first time attempt at starting the Intelligent Agent, remove the ORACLE_HOME\network\agent\*.q files.

2. Verify the TCP configuration of the system. Make sure the hostname and IP address are correct in the server’s hosts file located in the Winnt\system32\drivers\etc directory.

Ping the hostname and verify the correct IP address is returned.

3. Verify the computer name and the TCP/IP hostname are the same on the system. If the TCP/IP hostname is different from the Windows NT Computer Name or if you cannot resolve the IP address from the Computer Name for any reason then this error will occur.

Thanks
    Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oracle DB Resources ( http://oracle.dbresources.com)
    < Online community for Oracle DBAs and Developers >
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~