DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ALter table move with long datatype

Gents,

I am trying to move a table with one long column to alter some storage parameters. I get an error message "Illegal option".

How can I do this and what will the syntax be?

Thanks,
    Nizar

Hi all,

Was this question so darn difficult that I did not get any replies. That's surprising considering the supermen who run this forum.

How do I move a table with long column to another tablespace?

Please try.

Nizar

simple, you cannot move tables with LONG columns

Also, this is a forum not a classroom, people do this for free, AFIAK no moderator runs the administration forum, in fact I dont even know who are the owners, simple sentence we are not forced to answer any questions

Also the week you have been waiting for this reply did you have a look in the documentations or Metalink?

Please try before ask

[Edited by pando on 12-29-2001 at 06:34 AM]

Pando,

Sorry if my post seemed abusive. I understand all the points made by you, just that I am frustrated.

Yes i tried metalink search and docs, could not locate anything. Another suggestion was long is deprecated/desuppored satatype from V8.0 on (dont know i that is true).

Guess I got to mind my words before flaming; pardon me once more. This forum is an exmple of succesfull cooperative work.

Well I will be pleased if somebody can point me in the right direction.

Nizar

nabaig,

Funnily enough, I just typed 'move table long datatype' in the search box on Metalink and found plenty of information regarding your problem - for example a forum entitled:

'ALTER TABLE MOVE table between tablespaces failed on LONG datatype'

Try again (a bit harder)!

You may find that an export/import is your only option, also are you running Standard or Enterprise edition?

Regards,