DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cold backup and hot backup

If I have eveyday hot backup, I don't know why I need a cold backup every week, or every month?

You wouldn't NEED a cold backup, but it might come in handy if your db ever goes down.
    Jeff Hunter

If your application can afford a downtime for a cold backup, cold backup is not a waste.

Its uses vary from site to site. One of them is it serves as a very simple source when it comes to cloning your production dd when a week old status of data is acceptable. (Not that, cloning is otherwise impossible).

Re-starting a database is also a good by-product of a cold backup schedule !!
    svk

Originally posted by svk
    Re-starting a database is also a good by-product of a cold backup schedule !!
    If, of course, you don't mind reloading your db cache from disk. Yikes...
    Jeff Hunter

Some people said that you should keep your archive log files about 15 days. Why is that? I thought you could delete your archvie log files right after you second hot backup.

Depends. In the perfect world, I would keep my archives from the point of my last valid cold backup. That way, I could easily recover through the last log file without messing around too much with a tape.

If you are doing hot backups all the time, and you trust your magnetic media, you don't need to keep them after the next hot backup.
    Jeff Hunter

I don't get so many chance to do cold backup, at most once a couple of month. I only rely on everyday hot backup. I delete archive files every day after the new hot backup, because I don't have so much space for the archive files. And I thought that is techinically right, right? If I am wrong, please correct me!

Thanks!

You should be OK with that. I wouldn't even worry about taking cold backups if you are only getting them once a month.
    Jeff Hunter

how often do you back up the archive logs ?
    svk

Thank you!
    I had another question here, hopefully you can help me out here too!

One of my databases generates archive files about 6-8 gig every day, but I watch the space change of database files, only increase about 30 to 50 mb every day. How could you explain this?

Thank you!

Lisa