DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advanced replication

I would like to know if it possible to make offline replication ?

you will have to be more clear as to your requirements.

Do you want to copy a database?

If so, will it be to a different OS or not?

etc etc etc

For replication the database MUST be ONLINE. Could you explain what do you understand for replication?

Regards

Angel

Here is my problem. I have two data bases, the first one is made to produce documents, and the second is made to view documents. Main users add documents to the first DB. Each document has an attribute "Ok" set to yes when the document is finished and can be read by other users. Once a month, the second DB is refreshed from the first DB. So, the new documents which are "OK" ("OK" is set to "yes") are copy to the second DB, documents which are deleted in the 1st DB, are also deleted in the 2nd DB,... Main users can also add folders, classes or objects to the 1st DB, theses changes must also exist on the 2nd DB. I tried to use incremental export, but I have problems because the second DB contains tables that must not be changed.
    Thanks in advance for you advice.
    Jérôme Dupont

Sounds like you can use Snapshots for this. That would be basic replication and not Advanced.
    There are many steps and conditions for this and it is best to follow documentation.

I have many data to transport and the two data bases are not connected, so I would like to know if it is possible to do "offline replication" ?

NO, ONLY OFFLINE BACKUP

pb with export/import

I try to export my DB (incremental mode) and to import it in the second DB. We are using IFS on the 2 DB, so i try something like this to export :
    exp IFSSYS/ifssys file=exp1.dmp log=exp1.log full=y inctype=incremental
    IFSSYS has the grants to do full export and full import.
    Then I try to import the dump file on the same DB :
    imp IFSSYS/ifssys file=exp1.dmp log=imp1.log full=y inctype=restore
    But I have many errors on like "xxx object already exists".
    I put files (f1) on DB1, then I export it to a dump file, I delete these files (f1) on DB1 and I import from the dump file. When I look in IFS, the files (f1) do not exist !
    Thanks for you help.
    Jérôme Dupont.

I agree, there is no offline replication unless you mean something like disk mirroring in which you would sync the 2 disk arrays, break the mirror, and recover the TARGET database. All this while the source database is up and running or down (whichever you prefer or your business can handle).

This assumes that the os and hardware is there for this procedure (ie, you have something like EMC Timefinder or another comparable product).

Given that you mention exports and imports and offline one thing that I can think off is making an OS copy of the datafiles from one machine to another either through a straight copy or ftp session then recreating the target database. I have had success from copying from one version of an OS to another (ie, HP-UX 10.20 to 11) but haven't tried from one OS to another (I am not sure that this would work but I could be wrong).

One thing in the exports and imports try adding ignore=y to the options on the imports and see if that helps. From Oracle docs:

"If you want to import data into tables that already exist-- perhaps because you want to use new storage parameters, or because you have already created the table in a cluster -- specify IGNORE=Y. The Import utility imports the rows of data into the existing table. " Chapter 2 of Oracle8i Utilities.

Good luck!

I try to import to an new user :
    imp ... FROMUSER=IFSSYS TOUSER=joe ,
    and it works. But I can't import to the IFSSYS user, because the objects I try to import already exist for this user.