DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown Issues

Sorry I forgot the important part use the OraPwd utility to recreate the password file in $ORACLE_HOME\Database
    OraPwd file=$ORACLE_HOME\Database\InitSid1.ora password=oracle entries=5

Unhappy Re: possible other problem?

Originally posted by GynJer
    Well, for kicks I tried the command line the only difference in using svrmgrl is that when I do a ctrl-alt-delete, the status for command prompt never turns to not responding, instead, it just chills there doing nothing.
    cntrl-alt-dlt?!? whoa!
    What does that have anything to do with shutting down the DB?

From sql*plus, if you shutdown the db, how do you start it up again? you cannot log back into sql*plus because the db is shutdown.

ANYWAYS, let's go by Oracle Corp here. It says in the documentation that when you want to shutdown a DB, goto command-line on host machine, start svrmgrl, and log on as sysdba or internal.
    connect internal;
    shutdown immediate;

now, tell me what happens?

- Magnus

========================================
    jgmagnus uttered the following words:

From sql*plus, if you shutdown the db, how do you start it up again? you cannot log back into sql*plus because the db is shutdown.
    ========================================

Again, an incorrect statement:

C:\>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.1 - Production on Wed Nov 7 12:19:05 2001

(c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect sys/********* as sysdba
    Connected to an idle instance.
    SQL> startup
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 118255568 bytes
    Fixed Size 282576 bytes
    Variable Size 83886080 bytes
    Database Buffers 33554432 bytes
    Redo Buffers 532480 bytes
    Database mounted.
    Database opened.
    SQL>

This also works for 8i.
    David D. Fitzjarrell
    Oracle Certified DBA

Originally posted by jgmagnus

cntrl-alt-dlt?!? whoa!
    What does that have anything to do with shutting down the DB?

ANYWAYS, let's go by Oracle Corp here. It says in the documentation that when you want to shutdown a DB, goto command-line on host machine, start svrmgrl, and log on as sysdba or internal.
    connect internal;
    shutdown immediate;

now, tell me what happens?

- Magnus
    Well...I did ctrl-alt-delete to get the task manager up to see what was going on..and there I saw that SQL*Plus was "not Responding" so I had to end task

When I go into the command line, start svrmgrl and log on as internal....shutdown immediate...it does NOTHING....it just sits there

The database isn't shut down, that's the problem, I can do a shutdown abort or a startup force...but I can't just shutdown immediate or anything else...

Thanks for your input tho.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    I have seen this problem before. Rename the password file. Use service manager to shutdown the database service. Restart the database service then everything should hopefully work. I'm not sure why this works.

The thing about the controls files is that when you do a shutdown abort you can leave files in an incosistant state.

Hope this helps.
    The control file thing makes sense..thanks

I tried your suggesstion with re-creating the password file..and unfortunately it didn't work. Infact....Now when I connect as internal, startup, shutdown immediate...without doint ANYTHING else...it hangs up..before I had to do SOMETHING else (like connect another user...or query a table)

Maybe there's a background process that happens during shutdown that is not processing properly or something. I"m not sure how to find the background processes running tho. Any thoughts?

I'm with Gandolf989 when he said to go to services and stop oracle processes from there instead of SVRMGRL or SQLPLUS.

I've seen similar problems on NT shutting down through SQLPLUS. Our problem was with the way the app was keeping sessions open, but shutting down through services was a sure fire way to shutdown cleanly each time.

Go to Control Panel, Services, find the oracle process with your SID, then click STOP.

Alternatively, you can achieve the same through DOS prompt by the command:
    net stop OracleServiceSID
    Where SID is your oracle instance name.

This also works in starting the database.

Hope this helps.

BTW, shutdown and startup with SQLPLUS works in 8i and up. I have heard that SVRMGRL is going to be desupported in the near future.

SVRMGRL no longer exists in 9i. All functions that used SVRMGRL in earlier releases use SQL*Plus in 9i. Also, the INTERNAL synonym for SYS as SYSDBA is also discontinued, and connecting to a 9i database as SYS outside of SYSDBA is no longer allowed.
    David D. Fitzjarrell
    Oracle Certified DBA

An Experiment

I tried a little experiment. I did a shutdown immediate...and just waited. The status of SQL*Plus in Task Manager was "not responding" but instead of ending task, I just let it be.

I came back to my machine a little over an hour...and guess what...the database acutally SHUTDOWN. It only took a little over an HOUR to do ....

so my next question...WHY did it take so long? I had NO other programs running when I did this..only SQL Plus.

The database is SMALL only has 4 tables with approx 5 rows in each table...and no more than 3 columns in a table. (This is just a practice database...I was trying to learn Backup & Recovery stuff for my next test).

Is there anyway to monitor the different processes during shutdown, and possible be able to see what process occurs that makes SQL*PLus Not respond?

Originally posted by maachan
    I'm with Gandolf989 when he said to go to services and stop oracle processes from there instead of SVRMGRL or SQLPLUS.

I've seen similar problems on NT shutting down through SQLPLUS. Our problem was with the way the app was keeping sessions open, but shutting down through services was a sure fire way to shutdown cleanly each time.
    Are you sure that stopping the service realy performed a clean shutdown (ie in immediate mode)? If you were unable to SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE from SQL*plus or SVRMGRL then I honestly doubt that stopping the service realy did SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE - it rather performed SHUTDOWN ABORT.

How database is shut down when stopping the service depends on your registry settings (ORA_sid_SHUTDOWN, ORA_sid_SHUTDOWNTYPE, ORA_sid_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT).
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

When I stop the services to shutdown the database I see the message
    Shutting down instance (immediate)
    in the ALERT.LOG, therefore I trust that this is shutting down in immediate mode. Also, I have taken cold backups after this type of shutdown and have been successful in restoring the database.

I'll check on the registry setting too.