DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Using IP address instead of hostname in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora

Hi,

I noticed that other thread on the SQL error was closed.

You should really try to resolve the naming issue. Setting the IP address instead of a hostname is a bad policy.
    It is like hardcoded passwords in batch scripts i.e a complete nightmare to maintain if things change in the future.

Get your network admin involved and/or NT admin to work out what the name resolution problem is.

I posted this warning because i have been thru the experience, you don't want to go there

Have Fun
    Performance... Push the envelope!

Yes, I agree to your point totally.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Well, sometimes you simply can't avoid having your IP address hardcoded in SQL*Net configuration files. For example, in Oracle Fail Safe on WinNT/2000, IP anddresses are mandatory in tnsnames.ora for virtual network resources. In fact, Fail Safe will replace all alias references to your virtual networks and replace them with their coresponding IP addresses.

But I agree, this is only an exception to the rule. Whenever possible, rely to any available name resolution method, avoid using explicit IPs.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    Well, sometimes you simply can't avoid having your IP address hardcoded in SQL*Net configuration files. For example, in Oracle Fail Safe on WinNT/2000, IP anddresses are mandatory in tnsnames.ora for virtual network resources. In fact, Fail Safe will replace all alias references to your virtual networks and replace them with their coresponding IP addresses.

But I agree, this is only an exception to the rule. Whenever possible, rely to any available name resolution method, avoid using explicit IPs.
    May be a bit off the topic but wasn't is so that MSCS and FailSafe use "Virtual Server" and somehow you need 4 public IP sddresses on your network?