DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open cursors exceeded

Exclamation

Hi,

I have encountered the error ora-01000 maximum open cursors exceeded. Currently, the value for open_cursor = 300 but when i checked the number of open cursors from v$open_cursor, there are over a thousand of them!

I think it has got to do with the application level. When using EXEC SQL SELECT.. INTO .... in a script, will it caused the cursor to be opened and not closed after execution? Those statements are being used in a perl script and there will always be a sthm->finish() after it.... so what could be the cause of all the open cursor?? :(

There is a problem with your application code.
    You must explicitly close cursors when using sql statements in pl/sql blocks.

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

Remember open cursors is at the session level.
    Each session can have 300 open cursors.
    This will explain why you have over a thousand open cursors in v$open_cursor.
    Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.

hi

I think it is due to problem with the Application code (i.e PL/SQL ) or some sql startment.This problem is due to not closing the opened cursor...
    so try walk through the code and check any where u not closing the cursor..

if u r using any pro*c or pro*cobol programs also this type of problem may come due to not closing the cursors..

bye
    Rama Aluri

Unhappy

Hi,

Does anyone has any idea what is the correct way of closing the cursors in a perl script? Does using the statement EXEC SQL caused an open cursor? I understand that it is mainly due to application, but i am not too sure why? Simply query like "select sysdate from dual" can be be inside the list of open cursor and do not get closed too.

Thanks.

On our test database, we found that exceptions in Java code will cause open cursors to persist.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Thanks dknight. I know that by using graphics.dispose() will be able to close the cursors. But I am not using any Java objects!! So i do not think it should be the cause. The cause should comes from the SQL statement in the perl script, but I do not know why........ :( any ideas?

Does your Perl script complete successfully?

Are you performing select, update, insert, and/or delete in your SQL?
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

What kind of operation environment it is in? To me 300 seems to be quiet low...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

The perl scripts are running in a Linux platform while the database is in a HP-UX box. How to determine if the perl scripts have executed completely? Sometimes the page that executes the SQL can load and sometimes it can't, so I do not know what could be wrong with the SQL. BUt how can a simple statement like "select sysdate from dual" can also be opened for so long?? Any known cause?