DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Oracle and Oracle Enterprise (urgent)

Hi All

I want to know the major differences between personal oracle and Oracle 8i Enterprise (except for object features).
    Also whats the difference in the cost of the two and what are poit of differences on windows 2000 and NT?

Amol

PO & EE

Hi

PO is used for single user license and EE you can apply as per your requirment.

Felix
    DBA

it´s like comparing a mouse and an elephant

Hi

I know the difference is that of mouse and elephant the reason I am asking is that I have java application which will running from many clients at a time and going to access data from a AMOL Schema using oracle stored procedures and functions. This is just for testing.

Here I am using a database Oracle 8i EE but my client seems not affording it so I just want know to that whethere it will work on Personal Oracle 8i as I am not using any object feature . What I am having is a database of 20 tables and 15 stored procedures which are called by java programs and 20 triggers. What can the additional aspects I have to care If my client wants the software to be tested on Personal Oracle only.

Also if I could know the prices of both.
    Amol

SE is about 10 times cheaper than EE. We use both, recently paid the licences.

Right now I´m testing apps against Personal Oracle 8i release 3, and I can use all the main features (i.e., Instead-of triggers, Partitions, Java, Materialized Views, Function-based indexes, etc). I lost only some Parallel options and advanced replication, but all the rest is present.
    So, if you want just to test your app against just one test user, go for Personal without doubts - even if you want some users more, can be more $$$ viable a few more Personals purchases.

[]s
    Chiappa

Originally posted by julian
    SE is about 10 times cheaper than EE. We use both, recently paid the licences.
    Well, let's not exaggerate. SE is "only" less then 3 times cheapper then EE, not 10 times.

But the main isue when comparing EE, SE and PE is the functionality that is available on them. Here EE and PE offer (with few obvious exceptions) totaly the same spectrum of functionality and available options, while SE is quite seriously limited in some functionality aspects.

PE is an ideal environment to develop very complex and functionality-vise demanding applications. And the beauty in it is that with EE you have to pay separate licence fees for special options, while those same options are available free of charge with PE.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Hi

Can you tell me difference between Named User and Named User 2 yr and 4 yr editions of Oracle. I want to purchase Oracle 8i PE only for my client . How much difference in price it will make.

Amol

Well, let's not exaggerate. SE is "only" less then 3 times cheapper then EE, not 10 times.
    Nobody is exaggerating. Let me know better than you what we pay Oracle for the licences! You are right for limitted users (3 to 5 times higher). We have the unlimitted license for both and the ratio is 10 to 1. Yes, one zeo added to the EE license.

There is no such thing as limited or unlimited licence in Oracle. There is only "Named User Licence" and "Processor Licence".

The list prices from Oracle's global price list in US$ shows the ratio 1:2.67 when comparing SE and EE in both licencing schemas.

So are you saying you pay 10 times more for "Processor Licence" on EE as compared to SE *for the same computer* (or for the computers with the same number of processors)? And no additional options for EE are included in EE licence price? If this is true you must have a strange arangement with your Oracle salesman - either he sells you EE to expensive or SE too cheap .
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?