DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on degree qualifications

Smile

I've seen the raging debates about the OCP qualification and I wondered what everyones thoughts were on the requirement for a Computer/Science based degree. I'm of the opinion that if you can do the job then it doesnt matter, but I'm also aware that some employers wont grant an interview without a relevant degree.
    I personally kind of stumbled into a career in computing. I did a Business Studies degree but got a job first in Operations and then fell into DBA'ing which I've been doing for 9 or so months (and thoroughly enjoying). I've been toying with the idea of doing a part time Computing degree (once I've got my last two OCP exams out of the way) because I feel it would give me a deeper understanding of computing generally (as well as improving my employment prospects).
    Any opinions from anyone?

IMHO, an advanced degree (AS or above) is an absolute requirement for a DBA job. Sure a CS/CE degree would be preferred, but not a requirement.
    Jeff Hunter

howly if you come from business area you can dig yourself to the hole of Oracle Applications (if you can suffer of course )

Thing is I've been in IT for 5 years now - 4 in Ops/Ops Analyst role writing batch job etc on UNIX, and more recently a DBA role. Because I dont have a computing degree background the only formal training I've had is week courses for Shell scripting/SQL etc. I feel that I'm particularly weak on the programming side so thought that a part-time degree would make up for the shortfall. Problem being its a big commitment that'll take years. Would I be risking not getting jobs in the future if I didnt do it even with solid DBA experience?

IMHO, yes. Sure there are people out there that are DBAs and don't have degrees ([/i] and I don't want to here from all of them [/i]) , and maybe you'll be one of them. However, I believe you are limiting your oportunities in the future by not having a degree.
    Jeff Hunter

Bill Gates and Larry Eillison never had a degree in any subject.

Do not worry about the degree. What you need to are mathematical skill, understanding business processes, ability to solve problems, good listening, communication, and the best basic instinct, work smart not hard, be a front runner, ....

Originally posted by tamilselvan
    Bill Gates and Larry Eillison never had a degree in any subject.
    Joe the service station attendant and John the plummer don't have a degree either. What's that prove?
    Jeff Hunter

I think Bill Gates and Larry had their Honorable degrees now!!!. So does Michael Dell, from university of Texas Business School.

Taking a degree is no harm and worth the investment. Remember, enrolling in a degree program doesn't teach you how to learn a language, it would teach in depth on the programming concepts. How to build an efficient structure? You learn the datastructures and etc which are the back bone for computing. Yes any one can crunch numbers, knowing on how to crunch them efficiently is what matters, that is what the degree teaches you...

I know many would disagree, but would also listen to others view point.

"We are all learning!
    It is an evolving process,
    that has no end ..."

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Having a degree is not a waste. But if one doesn't have a degree, he/she needs not worry about that. There are plenty of ways one can learn a subject.

I hereby give a honorable degree (let him choose a subject) to Fraze.

Originally posted by tamilselvan

I hereby give a honorable degree (let him choose a subject) to Fraze.
    I here by name the university as University of TamilSelvan

No fun, No Life .

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!