DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Oracle Transactions with Windows 2000 IIS/ASP and 2 databases (client side issues)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    We have transactions running with one database on windows 2000 in an ASP page using "@transaction=".

    The problem occurs if we attempt to create a transaction with a second database on the same server. We get an error similar to this:

    Description : [Oracle][ODBC]MTS support not available, could not load ORAMTS.DLL
    Category : Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
    ASPError : -2147168246
    53258 (Error - vbObjectError)
    0x8004D00A (Error in Hex)

    This is the piece of code executed (starting connection):

    set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.Open somedsn, someuser, somepasword *****<----

    Note that the above code seems to work for whichever database gets hit first.

    Here's the info I've found related to it:


    To the best of my knowledge the windows 2000 box is setup correctly following the top link above. We're running Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release .

    If @transaction isn't used on the ASP page then everything works using COM+ with transaction=required setup for the components. Both DB's seem to use transactions fine.
    Also here's one more link with related info after the "Common Questions" (very bottom). It's basically some online doc from oracle (probably at technet also):


    We're looking to call Microsoft on this one, and maybe put a ticket in with Oracle (not sure on our support contract).

    thanks for any and all help!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Is your database using MTS (Multi Threaded Server) ? I don't know much on the MS' MTS, so I couldn't comment much on this ...

    Also you might want to patch the Oracle to or so and see whether the problem gets solved.


    Life is a journey, not a destination!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2001

    turned out to be ODBC driver related.

    After going through setting up a similar test server, we noticed someone had changed the failing website's ODBC DSN to use Oracle's ODBC driver instead of Microsofts driver for Oracle.

    Microsofts driver seems to handle the transactions correctly for ASP pages and everything else.

    I'm glad it's fixed, but it's pretty annoying that the entire problem was just related to the ODBC driver.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width