DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to move database files

I need to move system tablespace datafile and database log files and control files . Need guru's help .. I moved all datafiles using alter tablespace rename datafile option . We can't bring system tablespace offline to rename datafile . SO I can't use this option Please transfer the knowledge to move system tablespace datafile,control files,log files to another disk ..

Raghu

Raghu

In order to move the system tablespace, the database has to be shutdown and brought back up in MOUNT mode. Once you do that, you can use the method you used to move other Tablespaces.

Controlfiles can only be moved when the database is down. Shutdown the database in immediate or normal mode, copy your controlfiles to their new location, edit init.ora file to point to new location, and restart database.

Log files can be renamed while the database is up. You just have to make sure the log you are trying to move is not current. Or, you can create new logs in the right location and then drop the old logs making sure they are not current.
    Jeff Hunter

Thank you very much .. Today Raghu learnt a lot ..

Raghu
    Raghu

Try this alternate method also .This method will work for all datafiles execpt system datafiles

Make the tablespace offline for the corresponding datafiles ..
    copy the datafiles to the new location ...

give the command alter database rename bla....

make tablespace online ...you are done with the job .

but if it system only Marist method is the only way...
    Radhakrishnan.M