DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun/Linux/Unix Oracle

Thumbs up

Hi friends
    I wanna new paltform for Oracle, I am already work on NT/2000. Which one is best for me in Future
    Sun............/Linux................/Unix..........

Thanx in Advance.

Yes, yes, yes.

I am biased towards Sun, but lots of people run on Linux or other Unix OS's.
    Jeff Hunter

they are all unix anyway

is it for personal testing purposes? linux may be

btw seems that Oracle might focus on Tru64 coz of their Real Application Cluster technology acquiered from Tru64's TruCluster Also if we see 9i benchmark they are based on Alpha Servers with Tru64 UNIX

I thought Compaq anounced they are sending Alpha servers to the grave, No?
    Jeff Hunter

yea they are gonna do that itanium chip with intel but the seminar I attended in Compaq a month back they say they will develop Alpha till 2005 or so but support will stay till 2020 but itanium is using Alpha server's architecture according to the Compaq Guy

I started off admin'ing oracle on NT (and developing on NT). Now I do mainly HP-UX ( a flavour of unix) and im a convert :-)

Never used SUN but would love the chance....

DOS----Windows--------Windows 95---Windows 98-----NT----Windows 2000------Windows XP is the right path.

Note: SUN, HP, Compaq, IBM, and DELL are waiting for the release of Widnows XP in order to survive in this big recession period.

[Edited by tamilselvan on 08-15-2001 at 11:29 AM]

XP would also provide a way for a breach of security. Like the one every one encountered lately CODE RED As long as there is going to be a heavy usage of VB (well know on MS products) the security breaching could be expected to be high.

BTW, I doubt that XP is for any of the Unix flavoured platform. It could be the .NET which they are planning to allow some kind of portability. Even then, looking at the cash frenzy MS's past, I'm quiet convinced that they would make the staderds incompatible between the platforms.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Originally posted by tamilselvan
    DOS----Windows--------Windows 95---Windows 98-----NT----Windows 2000------Windows XP is the right path.

That's AN opinion. Maybe not the opinion of 24x7 high volume shops, but an opinion.

Note: SUN, HP, Compaq, IBM, and DELL are waiting for the release of Widnows XP in order to survive in this big recession period.

I'll agree with that. Once the latest version of NT comes out people will be flocking to something more stable.
    Jeff Hunter

[QUOTE]Seconded by marist89
    Originally posted by tamilselvan

I'll agree with that. Once the latest version of NT comes out people will be flocking to something more stable.

But still couldn't get the point, how XP would aid the Unix platform's survival. I would really appreciate if some one could explain it more...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!