Hi, 11th Aug 2001 11:52 hrs chennai

I am going to explain here step by step How to Install Oracle 11i on Win2000 server.

I also request those who install Oracle Apps 11i to first read the installtion pdf's which helps you understand clearly the prerequisites overall.

You cannot find the Pre installtion steps(such as Mks Toolkit and GNUMake config) in more clear terms from those documents.Which are explained here.

The Must PDF's to refer before installation

1)r1152ins.pdf
2)11iconcepts.pdf

According to the 11iconcepts PDF you can decide your business needs the N-Tier Architecture and Database Server and Application Tier Server File System in a very clear terms.

The installation process can be divided into

Pre Installtion,Installation and Post-Installation stages.

I would caution everyone to concentrate more on Pre Installation stage and which is more critical for a successfull installtion of Oracle Apps and to be free with later cropping up problems.

Further before moving into Installtion stages i have to Explain the Number of CD's and Installtion type's in Oracle App's.

In many places you may need to wait patiently even more than 10 minutes for screens(Dialog Boxes) to appear dont conclude prematurely some problem on system.

In oracle Apps 11.5.1 it consist of 12 CD's.

1) Start Here CD(RAPID Installation Wizard)

2)1-11 CD's

1-3 Application Top information
4th Oracle DB
5-6 IAS and other tools
7-11 Oracle Apps DB.

You have to decide whether you are going to do a Single Node Installation(No Post-Installation Task) or Multi Node Installation. Refer(r1152ins.pdf)

While installing for Multi Node you can see the Installation locations to be mentioned as

Appl_Top,Common_Top,Data_Top etc.Try to install Appl_top and common_Top in one drive and Data_Top in another Drive(Single Node) and in different nodes in Multi Node installation.

Installation Types
--------------------
Production ==>Real time Env implementation's
Test ==>For test Env Purposes
Vision Demo==>R&D or learning Purposes.

Pre-Installation steps
======================
Space Requirement for types of installtions
Install VC++
How to Download and install MKS tool Kit
How to Download and Configure GNUMAKE
Env path setting
Create Applmgr user in Win2000

Space Requirement for types installtion:
----------------------------------------------
Memory Requirement
------------------------
1 GB of RAM(512 Fine for initial Installtion)
but planned for more user connections another 1 GB of Ram and according to the number of user's and Application needs you have to Increase the Memory.

HDD capacity
---------------
APP_Top(A)
COMMON_TOP(C)
DATA_TOP(D)

Normally A+c is much less than D.

Prod and Test ====>30 GB(A+C=10,D=20) of HD Space for all Modules
Test and Vision ====>35 GB(A+C=15,D=25) of HD Space for all Modules
Vision Demo ====>20 GB(A+C= 7,D=13) of HD (Default Modules chosen)

This are the actuall space required for the Oracle Apps Alone plan for more space for future needs etc.

Softwares on System
-------------------------
Win2000 server with Patch1,Winzip and Acrobat Reader Latest version etc.

Install VC++:
----------------
Install a clean installtion of VC++ of Visual Studio Family 6.0
It should be first installed before installing MKS or GNUMAKE

NOTE: When Visual C++ is installed, let the installer register all environment variables. This will allow executables to be linked from the command line.

How to Download and install MKS tool Kit:
------------------------------------------------
Note:Try to purchase the MKS tool kit from the below site.
or try to download the trial version valid for a months time.

http://www.mkssoftware.com/products/tk/ds_tkio.asp

Evaluation copy from

http://www.mkssoftware.com/eval/

Choose "MKS Toolkit for Interoperability " Download it in C:\

Again you have to click the downloaded kit to start the actual download of 38 MB of MKS tollkit Evaluation version.

You will be sent a Demo serial number to your mail id==>copy the same to a Notepad on your desktop.

Now start the installtion of the MKSToolkit on your system by clicking on the MKStoolkit downloaded.

It will prompt you for the Demo serial number which has to be provided.

The MKStoolkit will be successfully installed.

How to Download and Configure GNUMAKE:
--------------------------------------------------

1) HOW TO GET AND INSTALL GNUMAKE ON WINDOWS2000

This can be done by performing the following steps:

NOTE: Please, be aware that you must install Visual C++ *BEFORE* installing GNUMAKE, because its installation process involves linking executables.

1) Before downloading GNUMAKE, you will need to acquire some utilities which will be used for unpacking files. You can obtain the required utilities at the following

URL: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/utilities/i386/

The directory contains the following files:
README
djtarnt.exe
gunzip-1.2.4-i386.exe
gzip-1.2.4-i386.exe
tar-1.11.2-i386.exe
tar-1.11.2a.exe

Only two of the files are required:

gunzip-1.2.4-i386.exe and tar-1.11.2a.exe

2) After downloading the above files, rename them as follows:

gunzip-1.2.4-i386.exe => gunzip.exe
tar-1.11.2a.exe => tar.exe
Place them into a directory that you can set in you PATH environment variable.

3) Point your browser to the following

URL: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make

The files needed from this directory are:
make-3.77.tar.gz
make-3.78.1.tar.gz
make-3.79.1.tar.gz
make-3.79.tar.gz

Development requires to install version 3.77 or above. Downloading the latest version is perhaps best decision, but there are advantages to downloading the version required by development (3.77). (This document assumes that version 3.77 has been downloaded) (NOTE: AVOID USING SPACES IN
DIRECTORY AND FILE NAMES. GNUMAKE,VISUAL C++, ETC. DO NOT ALWAYS DEAL WELL WITH SPACES)

4) For instance, suppose you have downloaded file make-3.77.tar.gz on a directory called C:\GNUMAKE, unpack this file using gunzip.exe from a Command Prompt Window

Example: C:\GNUMAKE>gunzip make-3.77.tar.gz This last action, will expand file make-3.77.tar.gz and the extension .gz will be removed.

5) On the same Command Prompt Window, you should UnTAR the file, with the following

command: C:\GNUMAKE>tar -xvf make-3.77.tar This will create a new subdirectory called MAKE-3.77 under C:\GNUMAKE, the original directory.

6) In the new subdirectory, there is a batch file
called build_w32.bat; run the batch file to generate GNUMAKE.EXE

Try this from Command Prompt more than once if succesfully not built message appers till you get Generated successfully.

Note:If Possible run all the bat files in the MAKE-3.77 and also config.bat in the sub directory by double clicking it.

WARNING: There is a known issue with this last step, "GNU make fails to build regardless of chosing build_w32 or nmake"

See [NOTE:115937.1]

for work around. RELATED DOCUMENTS ----------------- For Microsoft Visual C++, MKS Toolkit and
GNUMAKE support, you should contact their respective vendors Microsoft Visual C++, MKS Toolkit
and GNUMAKE are registered trademarks.

http://support.microsoft.com/ http://msdn.microsoft.com/ http://www.mks.com/

http://www.gnu.org/ Note:104010.1: Release 11i on NT: Software Requirements
Note:115937.1: GNU Make won't make on windows NT

Important:All the downloaded files from GNU makes web sites shall be put in a single folder called gnumake under c:\ .Try to search for config.bat file inside this folders just click and
run it.

Env path setting:
-----------------
Try to search make.exe generated in c:\program files\mkstoolkit\mksnt and copy and paste it
c:\gnumake\MAKE-3.77\windebug and c:\gnumake\MAKE-3.77\winRel also paste both this paths in the

My Computers==>Properties==>Advanced==>Environment variables==>Path setting's

After all this check as follows from CMD mode.

1)execute make at c:\>

2)execute gnumake at c:\>

In win2000 it may return error messages or Target wrong ignore it.If it is on Win NT then it will return proper status.

Create Applmgr user in Win2000:
--------------------------------------
Create a Applmgr user account in win2000 .

Installation:
=============

What here you require is the Patience .

Load the START HERE CD and run the C:\> cd \cdrom\rapidwiz

For Test and Prod it will ask for the location of Appl_Top,Common_Top and Data_Top location. Mention there path and ensure if more than one installtion say eg.Vision and Test or Prod to check the Path in all the tab pages its corresponding values and path's.

In Vision Demo many of the Options are not propmted from the user.

It will then do the system checking for Host Name and other details.All the checking should have been passed or if failed it will mark it in RED cross mark.Rectify the mistake and then onceagain proceed or else you will have problem after installation.

The Installation time takes around 5 to 6 Hrs of time.

For info on Post installation or on Multi Node follow the pdf's i have mentioned above.

The most tedious of all is succesfully crossing the Apps system checking it does for all
installed products it requires without any failure.

The GNUMAKE configuration or steps were nowhere given and it was all our trail and error exp.

This Thread will be further updated in future with some add ups.

If you have any doubts get to Oracle Apps Forum.

Cheers

Padmam