DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 9i database Issues

Hi Guys,

Anybody upgraded there production database to Oracle 9i?

Are there any issues with Oracle 9i.I would like to know if there are any because we might upgrade in a month or two.

Any issue Installation,upgrading and Internal issues.

Thanks,
    Santosh

I installed Oracle 9i on Sun Solaris to test last week before I upgrade my database.
    1,One thing I tested is that the undo tablespace, it is so nice that you don't have to specify individual rollback segments(you could also go on using rollback segments) and I watched the tablespace goes up to 275 MB and when your transaction finishes, it goes back to almost zero MB. It all handles by itself. You just need to specify the tablespace size when you create the UNDOTBS, that is it.
    2, I tried to use exp to do export of database, which gives error of ORA-1406, which is a close match to Bug:1802004
    I called oracle support and get the patch,installed it and fixed the problem. Another thing to note is that Oracle 9i exp export statistics as default. If you don't want statistics exported, you have to specify STATISTICS=NONE. Otherwise, you would get EXP-00091 all the time.

That is what I have found so far. I will keep posting what I have found on Oracle 9i here
    Good luck

Dragon

I have also found that the init.ora parameters behave differently in 9i. You can change a parameter in your init.ora file, bounce the database, and it is still the old value. The parameters are now kept in a binary file that is read at instance startup. Just something to keep in mind.

PS. I'm waiting for 9.0.4 or so to come out before I upgrade my production boxes. There have been too many bugs filed against 9.0.1 for my comfort level...
    Jeff Hunter

Hi

I will wait for some more time before I take a decision of upgrading till the database stabilises

Thanks guys for all your wonderfull comments

Santosh