DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Donwgrading Oracle

Question

Any tips on this before I go ahead and downgrade 8.1.7 to 8.1.6

Hi

Take a full cold backup of ur Oracle 8.1.7 database after shutting down the database.

Regards,
    Santosh

Lightbulb

This may or may not affect your optimizer, you might want to run an analyze after this procedure.
    MH

Now that is an excellent tip.

Change of plan though. Instead the plan from upstairs is to restore the test server from a version of Oracle 8.1.6 they know was working the way they want it. Then I will simply export the data from the Oracle 8.1.7 database into the newly restored Oracle 8.1.6.

Is there going to be a compatibility issue using 8.1.7 exporting tool and 8.1.6 importing tool.

Hi

Yes there are issues related with exporting data from oracle 8.1.7 to importing into Oracle 8.1.6

Perform a search on this forum you will find tons of information on export and import

Regards
    Santosh

Lightbulb

I had this problem before in an import/export situation. We simply changed the Oracle home to point to the corrcet version. This can be done in your .par file
    Mr.Hanky@old_version
    Got it?
    MH

Nope, 8.1.7 is installed on the live machine and 8.1.6 is installed on the test server.

We want to get the live data into the test server. I am using export (8.1.7) and import (8.1.6).

I think the best solution is to install the 8.1.6 software on the live server and export using that.

So I export using 8.1.6 and import using 8.1.6

I did the search as well and found an interesting comment that 8.1.6 export is full of bugs.

You can also check out asktom.oracle.com and search the archives for "export" and "version" and you will see several hundred questions answered about this exact problem.
    Jeff Hunter