DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating new database

Smile

Hi there,

I would be creating a new database. I know the factors that do influence the size of the database. Now i would like to know how to find them?
    The factors i think matter are
    1. How many concurrent users?
    2. How many concurrent transactions?
    3. How big are the transactions?
    4. How big is the largest transaction?
    5. How much activity on your database?
    6. At what rate do you use redo logs now?
    7. What are your backup and recovery requirements
    Is there any others please post .

Thank you,

Rama
    Rama

That looks pretty good. However, you have fogotten the most important question: How much data will I be storing?
    Jeff Hunter

Hi

Just to add to it

1) How much of Ram (Physical Memory)is required to Support the database once you decide on the size of the database.

2) How many processors required or what type of system to have to run the database depending on the size of the transaction.

Regards

Santosh

I think the list can go on and on depending on the application requirement for your DB, how about the number and types of DISK configuration you would require for your database (RAID1, RAID0+1, RAID5 ...)???
    roukie-dba

The best way to find them is to create a test machine or a set of machines that will resemble the final production environment. You can get the machines from alost any major systems maker. I got loaner equipment from Sun Microsystems for a whole 90 days and it gave me a lot of valuable data. Even though I had a have over 10 machines they are all being used for development of the software and the configuration is all screwed up. So, the loaner equipment gave me great ensite on the application and DB performance. Which also helped me identify weaknesses in the application.

Unhappy

Hi,

thank you for all the addins. But my question is still unanswered.
    How do i measure the factors????

Rama
    Rama

This is highly dependant on the application. Talk to the developers of the application. Talk to management to get the anticipated number of users. Somebody bought the server, why did they buy the size the bought?
    Jeff Hunter

Hi,

But isn't there a way to measure these factors in the running Oracle server?? What is it and how is it?

Rama
    Rama

1. select * from v$session can identify whose logged into the database

2. select * from v$transaction gives info on current transactions. (not that useful).

I think what you want to do is gather real time statistics.

If you log into Server Manager and the UTLBSTAT.sql script.

Then come back after 8 hours use and run UTLESTAT.sql.

A report will be created in the folder these scripts are in that contains lots of useful database statistics for you to look at.

There are other statistic gathering scripts out there somewhere for you to use.

There are some calculations out there that can be performed to estimate how big tablespaces should be etc.... It's quite a big task to do this properly and there are some good books out there.

UTLBSTAT and UTLESTAT scripts are in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin