DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NT Hoy backup problem

Hi,

I have an 8.1.6 database running on NT4.

I got some HOT backup scripts from metalink oracle, and scheduled them using the AT command. The backup scripts seem to be working ok - but I have noticed a few things, so if you can help, then its much appreciated.

1. I noticed in our 8.1.6 database on solaris, when the tablespaces are taken into backup mode this get written in the alert log, this does not happen in the databse on NT4 - should it happen? the datafiles are being copied across ok, but there is no mention of the tablespace going into backup mode.

2. secondly some of the jobs that copy the files to a certain directory are not working, again. It works when I run them manually. Any ideas?

Not sure I can answer your first question. As to the second, does the user who does the copy have write permissions on the directory to which you copy the file? The only thing I can think of is that when you do it your account has permissions but then the account running the backup may not have the same access?

I would have thought that putting the tablespaces into backup mode would appear in the alert log even under NT. I will take a look on my machine and let you know :-)

-Bob

cheers bob,

the account permissions might be something i have to look at.

i put the tablespace into backup mode maually and it does appear in the alert log, but it definately doesnt appear when when the script calls it.

Talking

First when taking any tablespace to backup mode it is a must to show up in th alert log despite if it is on UNIX or NT/2000 , ON Nt if you can not witness the event being writen in the alert log remove everything from the trace directory ( maybe to a backup directory ) then run the command again , a new alert log file is going to be written to the directory and hence it is a new one you can easily identify the event being writen in it , also what is the version of Oracle on NT you are using.

To know about the files are being backed up query the incoming view v$backup

If working on UNIX check if the user used to run the scipts has permissions to write at the location you specified

Good Luck
    Hisham Nagia
    IT Manager For Development
    Oracle Consultant - OCP

when i run the hot_backup.cmd manually it works good and the alert file is updated, this does not happen when the command is executed using the AT command.

something you can try:
    include the CMD-command in your at-call

at ..... "cmd /c hot_backup.cmd"

Regards
    Gert

Hi Gert, this is how it looks...

right click on AT1 - properties \ task

in the RUN box is the line

CMD /c E:\backups\hopt_backup.cmd

What should be in the start in box and the run as box? should the passwordbe set for this? could that be causing the problem.