DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing full database - help!! help!!

Dear Moderators/members
    I am about to import into a newly created database from a full export from a database on a node that had drives C through Q. However, my import will be on a database residing on a system with only the C drive. How is Oracle going to deal with the imported tablespaces that were on different drives in the previous database? Do I need to create these tablespaces first and their files??? Please I need your advice
    roukie-dba

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    i think if i am not wrong u only need to make sure drive D: exists and also the neccessary
    directory paths are created for your datafiles identical to that of the original machine will do
    don't have to create the tablespace or datafiles but definitely need to create an initial database
    first.

Junior

Thanks but I am a bit confused, do you mean drive C: or drive D: should exist? Secondly, how can I create datafile paths as in first machine when I don't have all the drives as in the first machine? Moderator please help clarify!
    roukie-dba

Please moderators help

Please moderators help:

I tried the command:

imp system/manager file=xxx.dmp full=y ignore=y buffer=8192 commit=y log=xxx.log

The node with the new database that I am importing the full exported database file has only the C: drive. However, the export dump was created from a node with files and tablespaces located on drives C: through Q:. Please tell me what I must do to successfully import my full exported database files into the new database.

Thanks
    roukie-dba

Hi,
    no matter if your new database resides on disks with different names than the previous db. The only thing I'd do would be to create tablespaces with the same names as they had in your previous database. Location of their datafiles doesn't matter.

You write that you tried imp ... Did it cause any error?

HTH,
    Ales

ales is right ...

u first create the tablespaces and then u can import without any problem

Hi,
    First create the tablespaces and the user and then import the dump file with the following command:

imp sys file=export.dmp log=imp.log fromuser=a touser=a
    ignore=y rows=y indexes=y

Regards,
    ROhit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    rohitsn@altavista.com

Hi,

I've just been doing what you are going to do for the past one week.

You've already exported the data so do the following: Create the database, create the tablespaces and datafiles, create the users and assign them their default and temporary tablespaces.

Personally I run my imports twice but your choice of preference is entirely up to you. Remember that import in Oracle goes in the following order: 1) Table definitions, 2) B Tree indexes, 3) Rows 3)Triggers 4) Bitmap indexes and all others.

For this reason I run the first FULL import with ROWS=N, then disable the constraints ( or constraints = N) then run another FULL import with INDEXES=N ROWS=Y INDEXES=N IGNORE=Y.

As I said earlier, the preference is yours. I hope you keep a log of every export/import done to make sure everything exported was also imported.

Good Luck and have a nice day.

AC

Moderators (JEFF) please comment

Thanks everyone for the help. Can one of the moderators please review the info supplied and then make a recommendation. Please I am waiting anxiously, thanks!!!
    roukie-dba

Moderators - Sam, Jeff, Sreddy please reply

Dear Moderators
    Please please comment on the information provided above so I can get a closure on this issue. Once more, thank you very much and to all other members who responded!!!
    roukie-dba