DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Reports in forms

Angry

Hi i am wondering is there anyway I could design a form so that I can run a report within forms....so Ive got a lets say ActiveX window on my form and a button which runs a report,,,,,,I want the report to run in the Activex window and not load seperatly so I can view the report in forms...IS THIS POSSIBLE and IF SO HOW...it doesnt have to be an activex control....

thanks ASH

Hi

As far as my knowledge is concerned the reports till 3.0 doesnt allow to you to do so !! the report viewer requires the report background engine to be activated !!
    Vijay.s

but..

Hi there,
    that is correct, at the moment you cant run a report embedded within the form. What you can do though is run the report to a new window via RUN-REPORT().

If you desperately need to have the report embedded in the form though, there is a couple of things you can try though...

Have the form run out to a text file or a pdf (acrobat) file or maybe even HTML. Then you can embed a viewer for that file in the form (even Word if you feel sick) and programatically load the report output file into the embedded object. If the report runs in the background then the user will never know the reports server is doing the job.

Cant try it atm as I dont have forms on my machine (Became a dba a year ago....) but I might install it and try iot - sounds like a fun thing to try out :-)

Cool Re: but..

Thanks for the PDF idea I will try that...ASh