DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone understand RMAN?

Unhappy

Ok,

I think I may have implemented this wrongly. I have a database that needs be on 24/7 so I want to make hot backups. So I am running in Archievelog mode. I wanted to use a recovery catalog. So I created this recovery catalog in the exsisting database and made a hot back up. This seemed to have worked ok. I got no error messages anyway. Next i want to restore the database. The Original is still running so I assume that if I am to restore it I should stop it then retart it in mounted mode. this I do but then when I connect to RMAN I get the following.

C:\>RMAN TARGET="SYS/MANAGER@GTS-COLM" RCVCAT="RMAN/RMAN@GTS-COLM"

Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

RMAN-06005: connected to target database: PICIS_DB (DBID=1703376184)
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
    RMAN-04004: error from recovery catalog database: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

C:\>

To me it looks like it can find the mounted database but because the database is not open it cannot find the recovery manager? Am I close? Then if I open the database it will not perform the restore because it already exsist.

And advise on which course of action I should follow?

Thanks

Your problem is that you created the recovery catalog in the target database. How will RMAN know how to restore if it is in the database to be restored?

The recovery catalog should be a seperate instance.
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

Can this instance be on a seperate machine or can it be on the same machine? Does it have to take up alot of memory?

Do you recommed using a recover catalog?

Thanks

CAN it be on the same machine? Sure. SHOULD it be on the same machine? Probably not. If you have a hardware componet fail on the host in which you are trying to restore, you have the same problem.

Sure, a recovery catalog is a great way to implement RMAN.
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

In your case you don't have to use catalog at all. Connect to rman with 'nocatalog' option. In this case Rman is going to use information from control file.