DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database Sizes

Question

Hi,

Could someone help me. I am importing many databases onto a server and my database are huge in size and take forever to import.

A 9MB DMP file grew to be 1.4Gig once imported and took 2 and a half hours to import.

Can someone tell me how to speed up the process and also reduce the database size.

Thanks

I do n't think a 9MB dump file would grow up 1 GB Database. Something is wrong. Are you looking into the correct data files?

Database sizes

Actually yes, a 9mbytes dmp file could create a multi-Gbyte database. If the object create statements in the dmp file call for segments to be created with very large initial segments, say initial_extent 100M, next_extent 100M, minextents 10, there goes a gbyte right there. So the size of the .dmp file is not necessarily going to exactly correspond to the final size of the database. Possibly you could take a duplicate of the .dmp file and edit it to pull out the segment create statements, modify them and create the database and segments seperately, then perform the import with ignore=y and distroy=n to bring in the data. Good luck and have fun.

Originally posted by hummy
    Hi,

Could someone help me. I am importing many databases onto a server and my database are huge in size and take forever to import.

A 9MB DMP file grew to be 1.4Gig once imported and took 2 and a half hours to import.

Can someone tell me how to speed up the process and also reduce the database size.

You could try specifying commit = 'y' on your imports and
    also specify a buffer size on the import. Also, if the database
    is running in archive log mode you could try turning off the archiving until your import is done and then re-enabling archiving after the process is complete.
    Thanks

Hi

Use this Parameter when exporting the database

compress=y

Regards
    Santosh

Question: How big was the original database?

Comments: The dmp file does not include indexes. Not only do the initial and next extent values come into play, but also the number and size (initial and next again) of the indexes.

Other observation. Was the export that created a definition (rows=N) of an entire database or a full export?

It could be creating tablespaces and objects you don't need.
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'