DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Import errors

Question

Scenario I: I tried to import data and want it to be imported into the touser’s default tablespace in Oracle 8.1.6. However the data did not import into the default tablespace instead it imported into the same tablespace as the original data. The script for this import is
    imp system/manager fromuser=fromter touser=toter indexes=no

Scenario II: During importing data, I got an error message “ORA-1658: unable to create INITIAL extend for segment in tablespace”. I checked the tablespace; it has enough space, almost 3 times the size of the import data, for the import.

Any suggestions for how to import to the default tablespace, and to the tablespace which has enough space for the import but the import ultility returns error as unable to create the INITIAL extend?

Thanks for your help!

Create the objects in the required Tablespace first and try importing with ignore=y option.

Basically export generates a script to recreate the objects with the table space discription too.

for the second question, initial extent size in the primary database may be too large.

Alternatively, you can revoke quota from all tablespaces other than the one you want to import into, then it will create the table in the only tablespace that the user in the touser clause is allowed to create objects in.

You'll probably want to grant the quota back when you're done.

for the second part, check the initial extent size of the object importing.

Ms_reddy and maachan thanks for your help.

I had done that revoking the quota on the tablespace (let's call it Ordata_tblspace) which is where the orginal data resides. When ran the import command, I got the error message as stated in Scenario II, "unable to create INITIAL extend" and the import failed. If I did not revoke the quota, the data was imported into Ordata_tblspace instead of the default. It seems to me that the extend size is fine, but still how do I import the data to the touser's default tablespace? Please suggest! Thanks!

Soluton

An ORA-01658 upon import means that your tablespace ran outta space.

Simply, either, make it bigger our have the autoextend feature enabled.

HTH

Hi Alex_D,

The error ORA-01658 message was generated after setting the quota=0 on Ordata_tblspace. Without setting quota=0, I have no problem importing the data. Therefore, it seems to me that the tablespace has enough space. Besides, setting the quota=0 on Ordata_tblspace is trying to avoid the import of data to Ordata_tblspace. I need to import the data to the default tablespace, but it did not happen.

Thanks,
    Unna

First of all find out the name of the default tablespace for your "TOUSER" user. Make sure its not the same as the default tblspc for the "FROMUSER" . If they are not the same then move along. Dont set ignore=y, otherwise if its still importing in the original tblspc it will replace the db objects in it. This will also fail the import giving the msg "object already exists" .
    Does the Touser tblspc has connect, resource privileges granted.
    I cant think what other possible reason could stop from happening this.
    Tansdot