DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: startup on NT

Unhappy

Dear Rajeev

Tried like You suggested...

Again Oracle unavailable at startup....

Well, it's not so important, but I really wonder why those problems happen only and ever on NT... It's really frustrating.

Thanks for responding
    Paolo

When you say that you have to manually start the database do you mean my Stoping/Starting the service or by going to DOS prompt, setting the SID and then running STARTUP from SVRMGRL ?

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

When I say start it manually I mean connecting to svrmgrl as internal and issue the startup command.

I do not put the SID 'cause it is the only database on the machine.

I do not start the service, 'cause it is already started. It means the service starts after booting the machine, but the database is down.

Paolo

after the boot when NT comes up, could you try to STOP and START the OracleServiceSID service. This will prove if the problem is with the Service itself or NT starting the service at startup. If STOP/START Service actually starts the database then the service is setup properly and NT is getting confused somewhere else...Did you make any other manual changes in the Registry (other than removing the OracleServiceSID) ?

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

Hi, Paolo

Sorry for the gap, but it was time for me to come back home (I don't know where you are from, but I'm French)

Rajeev's suggestion of trying to start/stop database with the service is a good one.
    tip: you can do this under dos prompt with:
    net start OracleServiceSID (to start it...)
    net stop OracleServiceSID (to stop it, as you guessed already...)
    You can too check the presence of the service with a "net start | more"

Anyway, not to worry you, but each time I had this pb of non-starting database, I had to completely uninstall Oracle (with registry modifications...) or, in the case of production servers with multiple bases, manually change registry keys (which is each time a miracle if server doesn't goes down, and a super miracle if instance works afterwards...)

I already checked with Oracle and Microsoft (as I met this peculiar pb 3 or 4 times on a few hundreds database installations, which, afterall, is a low rate), but, of course, it's no one's fault...

keep smiling!

Fabien

Hi friends,

I tried starting and stopping the service, but again Oracle is down. I also noticed that starting and stopping the service happens in a very short time. Stopping other services takes always 10 - 20 seconds...

So now we know that the problem is in the service that probably does not his work...

I had also another look at the init file

"db_name = "rncbk"

db_domain = gepc85

instance_name = rncbk

service_names = rncbk.gepc85 "

I think in this case the sid is rncbk, isn't it ? Does it make any difference if I specify in oradim "rncbk" or "RNCBK" ?

I remember that the old service name, the one that was working before removing Oracle was in Caps RNCBK...

To remove Oracle I used the CD, and afterwards I removed the services and the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE .... In this way I thought to obtain a clean machine...

Paolo
    P.S. For Fabien: I'm in Italy, so we have similar working times

Hi, Paolo

I unfortunately think that you have to completely uninstall Oracle... (F***G NT, isn't it?),
    This is the way to perform a COMPLETE ORACLE deinstall: (do NOT use Oracle CD)

- supress ALL instances (if you have multiple instances) - but do not supress databases files )with oradim (1st stop them properly with a 'connect interna'l and 'shutdown immediate')
    - stop ALL Oracle services (listener, Oracle agent, etc... )
    - stop the "MSDTC" service if exists
    - supress the following keys in the registry:
    hkey_local_machine\software\oracle
    hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\oracle*
    - supress all shorcuts in ' c:\winnt\profiles\all users\start menu\programs'
    - reboot the server
    - delete the directory C:\oraxxx (or whatever name you gave to it...)
    - delete the directory c:\program files\oracle

and, that's finally it: Oracle is deinstalled...
    you should now rebbot the server, perform a complete Oracle server install, and recreate Oracle services (oradim) corresponding to your databases

If after all that, your unworking oracle instance doesn't start alone at server startup, it's that:
    1 - wether you, or your server, or your database, are cursed...
    2 - you missed something in the instance creation process...

Good luck !

Cheers and courage!

Fabien

Thanks Fabien,

on Monay (thank god it's Friday ), I'll try to remove and reinstall all.

thanks for the tip on getting a clean machine. Think it will be very useful.

'till next post.

Paolo