DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: startup on NT

Question

Hi,

I recently disinstalled and reinstalled Oracle on WINNT.

Now the Database does not startup automatically. In the service menu the service OracleServiceSIDNAME is existing, and started (automatic start) but Oracle is still unavailable, and I have to start it up manually.

Can someone help ?
    Thanks
    Paolo

Hi,

- Are you talking of Oraccle 7.3.X or Oracle 8.1.X (or any other...) ?
    - Before "removing" Oracle, did you perform an oradim/oradim73 to delete the service ?
    - Did you remove Oracle manually, or with the oracle install CD ?
    - Did you "clean up" NT's registry ? (that's, from my own point of view, one of the biggest weakness of Oracle/NT, which caused me plenty of problems...)

Fabien

Hi Fabien,
    thanks for helping.

I'm talking about Oracle 8i, 8.1.6

I removed Oracle using the CD. Afterwards I went in the registry and cleaned the Software/oracle entries, and also the services entries. In this way I think I obtained a clean machine.

I agree, Oracle on Sun/Solaris is much easier to administer
    Paolo

Hi,

- Are you talking of Oraccle 7.3.X or Oracle 8.1.X (or any other...) ? If oracle 7.3.x, you should have an OracleStartSID too in services list...
    - Before "removing" Oracle, did you perform an oradim/oradim73 to delete the service ?
    - Did you remove Oracle manually, or with the oracle install CD ?
    - Did you "clean up" NT's registry ? (that's, from my own point of view, one of the biggest weakness of Oracle/NT, which caused me plenty of problems...)

**************************************************************************************
    **************************************************************************************

- Anyway, first try the following:
    * shutdown the database
    type:
    C:> oradim -delete -sid SID
    * check that the service "OracleService" is not present anymore in the service menu
    type:
    C:> oradim -new -sid SID -startmode AUTO -pfile pfile_full_path

by "oradim", understand "oradim" for Oracle8, and "oradim73" for oracle7
    by "SID", understand the sid of database
    by "pfile_full_path", understand the full path of your initSID.ora (ex:C:\ora733\...\...\pfile\initSID.ora)

hope it helps, if not enough, ask again

cheers

Fabien

Hi Fabien,

it's me again.

Removed the service (checked it in the control panel), recreated it but again, after restarting the machine the database did not start up...

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Paolo

Well, well, well...

Let's try another thing then:
    In the registry, under hkey_local_machine/software/oracle/home0,
    you should ckeck those two parameters:
    "ORA_SID_AUTOSTART" should be set to 'TRUE'
    and
    "ORA_SID_PFILE" should point to the goood pfile.
    if not, change those parameters to the good values and try again.(I met a few times a wrong pfile path.)

By the way, did you check the SIDalrt.log to see if something was wrong at the startup?

If this doesn't work, I'm afraid you will need to perform a complete deinstall.
    Let me know if you want some help for this operation, I'm becoming a real professional for this since I met NT (as you said before, no pbs of this type with Unix...)
    Anyway, hope the parameters' check will be enough...

cheers

Fabien

when you boot the server (and the database does not stop) what are the last few lines of the Alert Log ?

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

in the last post I meant --

when you boot the server (and the database does not *start*) what are the last few lines of the Alert Log ?

Rajeev Suri

Unhappy

checked the key values and they seem to be all right. The only difference is that I've found them in home2 'cause of multilple homes having also installed the designer on the same machine. Dont'think that does any harm, does it ?

I checked the SIDalrt.log file and found no entry at the last boot. I only found entries regarding the istants when I started Oracle manually.

I checked for the last modified files since startup and found the oradim.log. There is an entry that sound like
    "ORA-03113: end-of-file on the communication channel" (the original is in italian).

I begin to worry...

Paolo

if you haven't already tried this, delete the OracleServiceSID from the Registry --

hkey_local_machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services

You may also check if any of the service names there looks unfamiliar.

Then create the service as suggested above using Oradim and provide the appropriate parameters for PFILE and STARTMODE etc.

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri