DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Snapshot mysteries

Question

Hello,

I dropped a table, its snapshot log, on a master site, and its snapshot on the snapshot site.
    I thought it was sufficient... maybe not :
    After these 3 drops, I recreated another table with the same name (not the same columns),
    its snapshot log and its snapshot (successfully, the initial complete refresh is done).
    The execution of dbms_snapshot.refresh('user.mytable','F') (or 'C') returns this :
    ORA-12008: error in snapshot refresh path
    ORA-00904: invalid column name
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 604
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 661
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 641
    ORA-06512: at line 2

In the documentations, ORA-12008 explains some things about tables and views I don't find in my database.
    The "invalid column name" should come from datas from the old table, but I don't know exactly where I ca find these.

Do I forget something ? And How can I completely *clean* snapshot environnement on master and snapshot a base?

Thanks a lot.

when you drop the table, you have to reverse the order which you create snapshot.
    - "drop" the table from refresh group on snapshot first (this will remove the entry from DBA_REGISTERED_SNAPSHOTS)
    then drop table and snapshot log on master site.

your error sounds like mlog$xxx not clean. if you only have one snapshot site, you can manully clean the entry in mlog$xx.

Disobeying snapshots

Well, I've just dropped/deleted anything I could find in my database about snapshots.

I created again my snapshot log and snaphot.

First complete refresh : ok. My query should be correct though ?

Manual refresh via dbms_snapshot.refresh : another message, but nearly same result :
    ORA-12018: following error encountered during code generation for "MARVIN"."TAB1"
    ORA-00904: invalid column name
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 604
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 661
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 641
    ORA-06512: at line 2

This "invalid column name" seems alive again... argh. I hope there's a solution.

try to drop the user (schema owner) on snapshot site, then recreate user and snapshot if this user only owns snapshot.

Hum, here we are... extreme measures... why not running catrep.sql one more time ?

Ok. I'll try, but if one day my tables changes really,
    if I need to drop a column or add one, I hope I can drop/recreate
    my snapshot log and snapshot.
    If not, it should be a really big problem... if used for a client.