DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Two Oracle versions (9i, 10g) on same Win2003 server

Two Oracle versions (9i, 10g) on same Win2003 server

Hi,
    I need to install Oracle 9i and 10g on same machine running windows 2003 server.
    How to configure the listener on both Oracle installation to make two databases on different versions live together. (Has it be one listener or two? What about ports? Are there some spacial configs?).

Also how to make a hot backup on above data bases without archive (Dev environment).

Thanks a lot.

one listener

and cold backups are your only option

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk View Post
    one listener
    I'm not a Windows guy so my question may sound silly... can't poster have two OH -one for Ora9i the other for Ora10g - and just setup one listener per instance pointing each one to a different port?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

why have two listeners when one will suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk View Post
    why have two listeners when one will suffice?
    Having one listener per instance would allow for...

1) Be sure no user hits a specific database -by stopping listener - when doing light maintenance on just one of the databases.

2) Monitor network traffic on each instance.

3) In case a listener gets spinning it wouldn't affect both instances, just the one tied to the affected listener.

4) Most important, because I like to have a listener(*) per instance.

(*) at least one.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the ports ,can I use 1521 for 9i and 1522(for example) for 10g

all the developers 9i and 10g
    which client do I need to install on users machines?

thanks

It's all a matter of personal preferences.

In my case I would separate listeners by Oracle Home, like 1521+ for Ora9i and 1621+ for Ora10g -just because it looks cleaner to me in case you have to add listeners in the future.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov