DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OCP Example question from the book OCP Certification All-in-one Exam Guide

OCP Example question from the book OCP Certification All-in-one Exam Guide

I'm looking to do the Oracle 10g OCP exam and I am using the book OCP Certification All-in-one Exam Guide by John Watson and Damir Bersinic.

In Chapter 3: Creating an Oracle Database, there is a question as follows:

8. If you do not specify an UNDO tablespace on your CREATE DATABASE command, what will happen? (Choose the best answer.)

A. The command will fail because an UNDO tablespace is required.
    B. The command will succeed, and a default UNDO tablespace will be created for you.
    C. The command will succeed, but you must create an UNDO tablespace later.
    D. The command will succeed, and you may create an UNDO tablespace later.

I answered B because I have tried doing this on a Sun server and just issued CREATE DATABASE. A default tablespace called SYS_UNDOTS is created.

However the book gived the answer as D. It states. "Unlike the SYSAUX tablespace, an UNDO tablespace really is optional, though as you'll see, it is a great performance and manageability feature." This is a load of bull.

Now my question is this typical in the real OCP exam whereby some Questions have a Answer that is blatantly wrong but is for OCP purposes decided as the correct answer.
    Last edited by carslm; 01-22-2009 at 10:28 AM.

it happens, but not rife.

Your choice of exam guide is important though - and just because a book is by oracle press, doesnt mean it is 'official' either, they are just a publisher.

Sybex ones seem to be well regarded

Thanks for the reply.

Started working on chapter 4 this afternoon and found this gem on page 83 about savepoints.

""After the savepoint is set, you can roll back to that point by including the TO operator and the name of the savepoint. After you issue a ROLLBACK TO statement, all DML statements before the savepoint are committed and all changes after the savepoint are rolled back ..... continues"

What a load of bullpap.

From Oracle's documentation:

Using ROLLBACK with the TO SAVEPOINT clause performs the following operations:

Rolls back just the portion of the transaction after the savepoint.

Erases all savepoints created after that savepoint. The named savepoint is retained, so you can roll back to the same savepoint multiple times. Prior savepoints are also retained.

Releases all table and row locks acquired since the savepoint. Other transactions that have requested access to rows locked after the savepoint must continue to wait until the transaction is committed or rolled back. Other transactions that have not already requested the rows can request and access the rows immediately."

The guys who wrote this book are all fully OCP'd so I am worried if claring errors like this have been found in the 1st few chapters what's the point on continuing with this book.

I think I'll source a Sybex book on the Oracle 10g OCP.

Oracle Certification

Quote Originally Posted by carslm View Post
    I'm looking to do the Oracle 10g OCP exam and I am using the book OCP Certification All-in-one Exam Guide by John Watson and Damir Bersinic.

8. If you do not specify an UNDO tablespace on your CREATE DATABASE command, what will happen? (Choose the best answer.)

B. The command will succeed, and a default UNDO tablespace will be created for you.

I answered B because I have tried doing this on a Sun server and just issued CREATE DATABASE. A default tablespace called SYS_UNDOTS is created.

However the book gived the answer as D. It states. "Unlike the SYSAUX tablespace, an UNDO tablespace really is optional, though as you'll see, it is a great performance and manageability feature." This is a load of bull.

Now my question is this typical in the real OCP exam whereby some Questions have a Answer that is blatantly wrong but is for OCP purposes decided as the correct answer.

Thats rellay good you are doing oracle certification.It will increase your productivity and enhance you credibilty.While reading topic related to certification i came across certpaper dot com its very good quick and easy that support you in oracle and other certification.To get Q & A with 100% pass guarantee mail at support at certpaper dot com.I think it will help you alot.

Wishing you sucess in future.

Chris Michael.
    10g DBA,OCA ,11g

wow a spammer, super

Quote Originally Posted by carslm View Post

your choice and the answer D are both true, database can have more than one undo tablespace but one of the them can be active at any time.If you do not create tablespace explicitly tablespace Oracle creates SYS_UNDOTBS undo tablespace for you.

As far as I recognize the sybex is very useable books on certification.